Old 29-11-2005, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Query for Nick - jade vine

Nick, I'm trying to get hold of the jade vine, Strongylodon macrobotrys, so
far without success. I see that Cambridge Botanic Gardens have one. Do
they ever propagate it and sell the results?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-11-2005, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Nick, I'm trying to get hold of the jade vine, Strongylodon macrobotrys, so
| far without success. I see that Cambridge Botanic Gardens have one. Do
| they ever propagate it and sell the results?

Dunno, but it isn't impossible. Their telephone number is
01223 336265, Email is and their
Web page is
http://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk/. They won't do
mail order, but please kick me into doing that for you!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-11-2005, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 29/11/05 12:20, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Nick, I'm trying to get hold of the jade vine, Strongylodon macrobotrys, so
| far without success. I see that Cambridge Botanic Gardens have one. Do
| they ever propagate it and sell the results?

Dunno, but it isn't impossible. Their telephone number is
01223 336265, Email is and their
Web page is
http://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk/. They won't do
mail order, but please kick me into doing that for you!

Very kind, Nick, thanks. I'll get in touch with them today.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-11-2005, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 29/11/05 12:23, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

On 29/11/05 12:20, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Nick, I'm trying to get hold of the jade vine, Strongylodon macrobotrys,
so
| far without success. I see that Cambridge Botanic Gardens have one. Do
| they ever propagate it and sell the results?

Dunno, but it isn't impossible. Their telephone number is
01223 336265, Email is and their
Web page is
http://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk/. They won't do
mail order, but please kick me into doing that for you!

Very kind, Nick, thanks. I'll get in touch with them today.

I did and my goodness what a quick reply! Unfortunately, it wasn't the
answer I wanted - they sell no plants at all! Isn't that a bit of a missed
opportunity?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-11-2005, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| |
| | Nick, I'm trying to get hold of the jade vine, Strongylodon macrobotrys,
| so
| | far without success. I see that Cambridge Botanic Gardens have one. Do
| | they ever propagate it and sell the results?
|
| Dunno, but it isn't impossible. Their telephone number is
| 01223 336265, Email is and their
| Web page is
http://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk/. They won't do
| mail order, but please kick me into doing that for you!
|
| Very kind, Nick, thanks. I'll get in touch with them today.
|
| I did and my goodness what a quick reply! Unfortunately, it wasn't the
| answer I wanted - they sell no plants at all! Isn't that a bit of a missed
| opportunity?

I think that they answered the wrong question. They don't sell
commercially, but do have sales. I will try to remember to look
out for them, but they usually include mainly surplus bedding
plants and similar.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-11-2005, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 29/11/05 12:56, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| |
| | Nick, I'm trying to get hold of the jade vine, Strongylodon
macrobotrys,
| so
| | far without success. I see that Cambridge Botanic Gardens have one.
Do
| | they ever propagate it and sell the results?
|
| Dunno, but it isn't impossible. Their telephone number is
| 01223 336265, Email is and their
| Web page is
http://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk/. They won't do
| mail order, but please kick me into doing that for you!
|
| Very kind, Nick, thanks. I'll get in touch with them today.
|
| I did and my goodness what a quick reply! Unfortunately, it wasn't the
| answer I wanted - they sell no plants at all! Isn't that a bit of a missed
| opportunity?

I think that they answered the wrong question. They don't sell
commercially, but do have sales. I will try to remember to look
out for them, but they usually include mainly surplus bedding
plants and similar.

I asked specifically about the jade vine, saying that I knew someone willing
to get it for me and send it to me, if it was possible to buy one. The
answer was:
Dear Sacha

Best wishes
Enquiries
Cambridge University Botanic Garden
Cory Lodge
Bateman Street
Cambridge CB2 1JF
01223 336265

If you do get a chance to get one, Nick, I'd be most grateful.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-11-2005, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote
Nick, I'm trying to get hold of the jade vine, Strongylodon macrobotrys,
so
far without success. I see that Cambridge Botanic Gardens have one. Do
they ever propagate it and sell the results?

They have one in the glasshouse at RHS Wisley, and doesn't Ray, like me,
know someone there? :-)
--
Regards
Bob

Old 29-11-2005, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider

Sacha wrote in message
.uk...
On 29/11/05 16:35, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
Nick, I'm trying to get hold of the jade vine, Strongylodon

macrobotrys,
so
far without success. I see that Cambridge Botanic Gardens have one.

Do
they ever propagate it and sell the results?

They have one in the glasshouse at RHS Wisley, and doesn't Ray, like me,
know someone there? :-)

You mean the retired one......? ;-) Good idea, Bob. Thank you!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Hi Sacha,

If you don't have any success with your RHS contact, try these sites from
the RHS Plantfinder:
www.plantsman.com and
www.theoldwalledgarden.co.uk

Good luck.
Spider

Old 29-11-2005, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 29/11/05 17:53, in article ,
"Spider" wrote:

Sacha wrote in message
.uk...
On 29/11/05 16:35, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
Nick, I'm trying to get hold of the jade vine, Strongylodon

macrobotrys,
so
far without success. I see that Cambridge Botanic Gardens have one.

Do
they ever propagate it and sell the results?

They have one in the glasshouse at RHS Wisley, and doesn't Ray, like me,
know someone there? :-)

You mean the retired one......? ;-) Good idea, Bob. Thank you!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Hi Sacha,

If you don't have any success with your RHS contact, try these sites from
the RHS Plantfinder:
www.plantsman.com and
www.theoldwalledgarden.co.uk

Thanks, Spider. I know that the Plantsman nursery can't do it because
that's Guy Sissons who's packing up and moving to France and he doesn't have
one. He was here a couple of weeks ago with some other things but not that,
unfortunately. I did try the other one some time ago when we returned from
our Caribbean cruise ( ;- ) on which we saw the vine growing magnificently
in St Barts but not recently, so I'll give it another go.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-11-2005, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote ...
after "Bob Hobden" replied

Nick, I'm trying to get hold of the jade vine, Strongylodon macrobotrys,
so
far without success. I see that Cambridge Botanic Gardens have one. Do
they ever propagate it and sell the results?

They have one in the glasshouse at RHS Wisley, and doesn't Ray, like me,
know someone there? :-)

You mean the retired one......? ;-) Good idea, Bob. Thank you!

My friend (and work colleague in a previous life) is still there, although
in Fruit not Glass, I'll give him a ring tomorrow evening and ask.

Old 29-11-2005, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 29/11/05 23:29, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ...
after "Bob Hobden" replied

Nick, I'm trying to get hold of the jade vine, Strongylodon macrobotrys,
so
far without success. I see that Cambridge Botanic Gardens have one. Do
they ever propagate it and sell the results?

They have one in the glasshouse at RHS Wisley, and doesn't Ray, like me,
know someone there? :-)

You mean the retired one......? ;-) Good idea, Bob. Thank you!

My friend (and work colleague in a previous life) is still there, although
in Fruit not Glass, I'll give him a ring tomorrow evening and ask.

That really would be great. Thank you. I'm trying to get hold of it as a
bit of a surprise for Ray because he had it here and lost it for some reason
- before my time, so I don't know why. But we both really fell in love with
it again when we saw it growing in the Caribbean. It was growing all along
a pergola and looked absolutely magnificent. I'm now wondering if it *was*
in St Barts but it was a botanic garden, an island and v. hot, St Kitts,
probably. Gives you a wealth of choice in the Caribbean, doesn't it......
But if we can get it going here it should be quite something in one of the
glasshouses. It makes me think a little of a Clianthus in terms of flower
shape but that is a 'just possible' in warmer UK areas, whereas I doubt the
jade vine would be? Or do you know otherwise? Does anyone try to grow it
outside in UK?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-11-2005, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote ...
after, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:
[...]

We first saw it in all it's glory in a little Zoo in Hong Kong, outside, and
it wasn't that warm at the time. Certainly not like the W I.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/S/stro_mac.cfm seems to suggest it need min
60°F but Hong Kong can get down to 50°F a few nights during the winter.

Old 30-11-2005, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 30/11/05 11:45, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ...
after, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:
[...]

David's post seems to indicate it needs a heated greenhouse and that we
don't do, so this may be a non-starter for us. ;-( I think the warmest
house is the prop. house but there's not a lot of space in there at the best
of times!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk