Old 03-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Ang Ang is offline
Registered User

Default honeysuckle help

I have moved to a new garden which has a huge honeysuckle climbing the trellis and about two foot higher. It has very few leafy branches on the bottom few feet of the plant...then a bare section of thick woody branches but the top is absolutely wonderful and looks very healthy. Should I leave it or cut it down to a few feet?
Not sure which type it is but looks like the most common sort you see everywhere if that helps!
Thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
I have moved to a new garden which has a huge honeysuckle cl
climbers...want to...climb..!!!!

they don t stay green from top to bottom but when happy do exactly as you describe....its a very happy climber that wants a tree to climb up...then cascade down...and look perfect .

i found out the other day honeysuckle is pollinated by moths.....so hello caterpillas...and maybe bats.

don t touch it is my opinion.
bye
Old 04-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

when the new stems are flexible enough you could train them downwards to cover the bare stems at the bottom of the plant
Old 04-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Charlie Pridham

--
Ang

Honeysuckles can be hard pruned, but if you do it now you will reduce this
years flowers. After flowering cut it back then take out tips of long shoots
regularly to encourage it to be bushy, but it will always want to get to the
light (its what climbers do) so you will have to do it from time to time.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk