Old 03-04-2005, 04:29 PM
lsd

Default Slugs in my compost

Hi, just been checking out the compost bin and discovered some fair
sized slugs in it. Can I nuke them with something toxic that won't
ruin the compost or do I need to pick them out? ( yeuuuchh!!!)

lsd
lsd
Old 03-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Nick Gray

"lsd" wrote in message
Hi, just been checking out the compost bin and discovered some fair
sized slugs in it. Can I nuke them with something toxic that won't
ruin the compost or do I need to pick them out? ( yeuuuchh!!!)

lsd
lsd

They will be eating and breaking down the organic matter, which is what you
want in your compost bin, so I'd suggest leaving them.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 03-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Robert

"lsd" wrote in message
: Hi, just been checking out the compost bin and discovered some fair
: sized slugs in it. Can I nuke them with something toxic that won't
: ruin the compost or do I need to pick them out? ( yeuuuchh!!!)
:
: lsd
: lsd

This probably means your compost heap is not working properly and is too
wet. I would make sure it is covered from the rain and mix in some harder
textured stuff with the soft material. If this doesn't help try watering on
anti slug nematodes which you can order online from the organic catalogue

Old 03-04-2005, 08:09 PM
lsd

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:29:44 +0100, lsd
wrote:

Hi, just been checking out the compost bin and discovered some fair
sized slugs in it. Can I nuke them with something toxic that won't
ruin the compost or do I need to pick them out? ( yeuuuchh!!!)

lsd

2 replies which both make sense. I'll leave it a while so they can
work on the compost and then set the nematodes on them.

Thx

lsd