Old 07-04-2005, 04:57 PM
John Edgar

Default Non-flowering daffs.

We have a number of daffs that have not flowered this year - some in
pots, some in the garden. Plenty of foliage but no blooms. They have
been deeply planted, as far as one remembers, and are not water-logged.
What can have gone wrong, and will they flower next year? Any help and
advice most welcome.
John.

Old 07-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Victoria Clare

"John Edgar" wrote in
ups.com:

We have a number of daffs that have not flowered this year - some in
pots, some in the garden. Plenty of foliage but no blooms. They have
been deeply planted, as far as one remembers, and are not water-logged.
What can have gone wrong, and will they flower next year? Any help and
advice most welcome.

If they are not in deep shade, they may have a virus. If they are in
shade, move them somewhere sunnier and they will probably get over it and
flower again, if not next year then the year after.

If they have a virus though, they will not flower again and you should
remove them and replant with something else.

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 07-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
40.24...
"John Edgar" wrote in
ups.com:

We have a number of daffs that have not flowered this year - some in
pots, some in the garden. Plenty of foliage but no blooms. They have
been deeply planted, as far as one remembers, and are not water-logged.
What can have gone wrong, and will they flower next year? Any help and
advice most welcome.

If they are not in deep shade, they may have a virus. If they are in
shade, move them somewhere sunnier and they will probably get over it and
flower again, if not next year then the year after.

If they have a virus though, they will not flower again and you should
remove them and replant with something else.

Victoria

Could be small narcissus fly (you get left with a lot of small leaves and no
flowers) or sometimes after flowering the bulbs divide into many small below
flowering size bulbs, so the clumps may resume flowering if you feed them
up. Expensive daffs seldom do as well as cheap ones in my experience, so if
they were specials it may be they need more TLC than they got!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 09-04-2005, 11:07 AM
John Edgar

Thanks for all the replies. We will be giving them a good telling off,
then making sure that they are properly planted and are fed well. That
is probably the problem.
John

Old 11-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Mike Lyle

John Edgar wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. We will be giving them a good telling

off,
then making sure that they are properly planted and are fed well.

That
is probably the problem.
John

Sorry if this has been said already: I've been away.

But if the daffodils have been in the same place for a few years
they're probably overcrowded. If so, all you have to do is probably
to dig them up and spread them out a bit, with a nice feed, of
course. If they don't flower next year, they should do so the year
after.

--
Mike.