Old 10-04-2005, 10:42 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Overwintering Peppers

Hi,

there have been various threads about overwintering peppers, and the
unspectacular yield the next year.

At the end of last season I bunged my peppers (in pots) in the sun lounge
and neglected them.

One pot (with three plants) has brown leaves but green stems.

The other pot (with one plant) still has leaves on.

It also still has one pepper on - still over-ripe and bright red.
This has lasted all winter in this state.
I expected it to rot and drop off - the others eventually did.
However it is still there.

They are now out on the patio (just in time for the last snow) but still
seem much the same.
I will report on second year growth.

Cheers
Dave R

Old 10-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Bob Hobden

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote

there have been various threads about overwintering peppers, and the
unspectacular yield the next year.

At the end of last season I bunged my peppers (in pots) in the sun lounge
and neglected them.

One pot (with three plants) has brown leaves but green stems.

The other pot (with one plant) still has leaves on.

It also still has one pepper on - still over-ripe and bright red.
This has lasted all winter in this state.
I expected it to rot and drop off - the others eventually did.
However it is still there.

They are now out on the patio (just in time for the last snow) but still
seem much the same.
I will report on second year growth.

Please do Dave, I tried it some years ago and decided it wasn't worth the
greenhouse space over winter.
Ended up with sad weak plants that never really did much, much like you by
the sound of it. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Old 10-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Kay

In article , David W.E. Roberts
writes

It also still has one pepper on - still over-ripe and bright red.
This has lasted all winter in this state.
I expected it to rot and drop off - the others eventually did.
However it is still there.

Did they? Mine dried where they were on the plant. Whereas the ones I
picked rotted.

Mine are chillis- are yours chillies or sweet peppers?

--
Kay

Old 10-04-2005, 08:36 PM
roy davidson

I'm aiming for year 3 for my chillies, year two produced around 4 times more
chillies than the first year. The plant is looking a bit sad at the moment,
aphids in the winter. There are about half a dozen chillies on it and there
are stacks of flowers. Its full time conservatory.

I also have some peppers, which looked worse, the aphids preferred them. I
pruned a couple back to only the stem, now buds have burst and new leaves
are coming.

roy

Old 11-04-2005, 01:07 AM
CK

Hi Dave,

Last year I started my peppers late and due to the cool and cloudy weather,
we didn't get much harvest. However, as we had running out of bed space and
big pots, I left two chilli pepper, Bolivian rainbow in 2 4" pots. I
brought them indoor in November. We took down all outdoor peppers after
they had been damaged by frost. Those inside greenhouse wilted naturally.

I let the potted peppers on the windowsill in an unheated room. I think the
lowest temperature may be 10C. They grew really slowly and all flowers just
dropped till the first fruit set in mid February. During the time, I had
changed them into 5" pots. Due to limitation of space, I only repotted them
again into 6" pots in early March. Now I have a number of tiny chilli
peppers. It is so amazing to have yellow, orange, red, purple fruits within
a plant. The only problem is am not sure when I can collect seeds as the
yellowish green one can turn into different colour.

So I think if you overwinter those peppers which can perform well in pots,
it is still nice to have them overwinter indoor. For your peppers, you can
check the root system when repotting them. If the roots are still firm and
have new growth, then pruned the branches back to healthy growth, keep the
soil moist but not waterlogged and see whether they will come back or not.

In addition to pepper, I got two busy tomatoes, Garden pearl and Gartenperle
sharing a window box. I got the first harvest in last early summer. I
pruned them hardly as they wilted badly when we came back from a 3 weeks
holiday (the dripping system couldn't provide enough water for them). I got
a second decent harvest in October. I pruned them again afterwards and then
gave it an inch fresh multi-compost in early spring. I got 4 bright red
cherry tomatoes in mid-March and there are at least 30 green tomatoes
growing. Nice to have some early fruits. I will try to see how long they
can still remain productive.

With regards,
CK from Aberystwyth

Old 16-04-2005, 05:37 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Ended up with sad weak plants that never really did much, much like you

by
the sound of it. :-)

Poor ole chap, I'd no idea.

Janet

Well, mustn't grumble, could be worse, thanks for the sympathy.

Wonder how Bob found out?

Old 16-04-2005, 05:39 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , David W.E. Roberts
writes

It also still has one pepper on - still over-ripe and bright red.
This has lasted all winter in this state.
I expected it to rot and drop off - the others eventually did.
However it is still there.

Did they? Mine dried where they were on the plant. Whereas the ones I
picked rotted.

Mine are chillis- are yours chillies or sweet peppers?

Sorry, should have said.

Sweet peppers.

Chillies seem to perform much better, but I didn't grow them last year as I
still have two large bags of dried chillies from the year before.

I am not convinced that sweet peppers are worth the bother for growing
outdoors in Suffolk.

Cheers
Dave R