Old 10-04-2005, 05:46 PM
Broadback

Default I hang my head in shame

In the next 2 weeks I will need to buy veg, what a failure. That is
even taking into account the ones I have frozen. What fresh veg fills
the gap from now until first cropping? Sadly my wife does not enjoy
purple sprouting broccoli, is there anything else please?
TIA
Old 10-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Robert

"Broadback" wrote in message
: In the next 2 weeks I will need to buy veg, what a failure. That is
: even taking into account the ones I have frozen. What fresh veg fills
: the gap from now until first cropping? Sadly my wife does not enjoy
: purple sprouting broccoli, is there anything else please?
: TIA

Curly greens (Kale) goes on for a while if you keep picking it

Old 10-04-2005, 06:45 PM
JennyC

"Broadback" wrote in message
In the next 2 weeks I will need to buy veg, what a failure. That is
even taking into account the ones I have frozen. What fresh veg fills
the gap from now until first cropping? Sadly my wife does not enjoy
purple sprouting broccoli, is there anything else please?
TIA

Would have thought that laying up root veg would work.......carrots, swedes,
turnips etc
Onions can be kept and made into all sorts of recipes
Leeks
Young dandelion leaves as salad :~))

and the BBC has http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/in_season/april.shtml

HTH Jenny

Old 10-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Broadback
writes
In the next 2 weeks I will need to buy veg, what a failure. That is
even taking into account the ones I have frozen. What fresh veg fills
the gap from now until first cropping? Sadly my wife does not enjoy
purple sprouting broccoli, is there anything else please?

Leafbeet/Perpetual spinach can be picked all year round. If you sow them
now you will have fresh greens by summer and then until next May.
Another good reliable standby which crops all year round is curly kale.
We sow dwarf curly kale, it is a more manageable plant and the leaves
have better texture. An early crop of Oriental salad leaves can fill the
April/May gap if you can protect the seedlings.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Trevor Appleton

"Broadback" wrote in message
In the next 2 weeks I will need to buy veg, what a failure. That is even
taking into account the ones I have frozen. What fresh veg fills the gap
from now until first cropping? Sadly my wife does not enjoy purple
sprouting broccoli, is there anything else please?
TIA

So Spinach in Summer to be ready now. (perpetual that is)

Old 10-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Bob Hobden

"Broadback" wrote
In the next 2 weeks I will need to buy veg, what a failure. That is even
taking into account the ones I have frozen. What fresh veg fills the gap
from now until first cropping? Sadly my wife does not enjoy purple
sprouting broccoli, is there anything else please?

We are still cropping Winter Cabbage "Tundra" and Savoys, the Broccoli
"Christmas Marvel" (Not purple sprouting) only got dug out last week and
could have gone on longer if cropped more often, and our spring cauliflowers
"Walcheren Winter Armardo April" have their first head showing.
These winter Cauli's are the easiest and best to grow, no insects about
while they are growing, nice clean heads with no need for any sprays.
Try sowing some carrots quite late and leave them in the ground, yes they
will start to resprout but they are still usable for some while, again, only
dug ours out last week (Except for the ones I want to flower for seed...
"Long Red Surrey").

--
Regards
Bob

Old 11-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Cerumen

"Broadback" wrote in message
In the next 2 weeks I will need to buy veg, what a failure. That is
even taking into account the ones I have frozen. What fresh veg fills
the gap from now until first cropping? Sadly my wife does not enjoy
purple sprouting broccoli, is there anything else please?

I still have leeks, sprouting spinach, sea kale, swiss chard,
celeriac and a few other roots like white turnips and beetroot sitting in
my garden.
But then it is virtually frost free.

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 11-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Victoria Clare

"JennyC" wrote in :

Young dandelion leaves as salad :~))

Ew. Ew. And Ew again.

Whoever decided dandelions were edible must have been *really* hungry. Or
a rabbit.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill