Old 17-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Bas

Default CANADA'S SHAME - Many seals are skinned whilst still conscious

Canada we all cry you have to shame yourself

Dicky Holland
http://www.geocities.com/turbo502002/

"KrakAttiK" schreef in bericht
In 1983 the European Union banned the import of products made from
'whitecoat' harp and 'blueback' hooded seal pups.

As a result, in 1987, a Canadian Royal Commission recommended that the
killing of these very young seal pups be prohibited. In 1993, Canada's
Marine Mammal Regulations were amended to prohibit the trade in
whitecoat and blueback seal pups - this was intended to prevent the
killing of these seals. In reality these measures just caused the goal
posts to be moved.

It now means that a harp seal can be legally killed as soon as it
begins to shed its whitecoat at around 10 or 12 days after birth.
Hooded seals can be killed when they shed their blueback pelt at about
15-16 months of age. Products from this slaughter are not covered by
the EU ban and the fur trade, amongst others, has been quick to
exploit this loophole. Many leading designers use seal fur in their
collections and seal meat and oil is imported into Europe.

The annual seal hunt in Canada has been subject to 'management' since
the 1970's but the annual quota has been based more on market demand
than scientific evidence. It has steadily increased since the mid 90's
during which time new federal subsidies have encouraged sealers to
kill more seals.

The killing of what most would consider still to be 'baby' seals is
offensive in itself but the methods of slaughter are horrific. Early
in the season harp seals are still killed with clubs or hakapiks,
later in the season they are shot both on the ice and in the water.
Because much of the seal hunt takes place on shifting ice floes, or
from a moving boat, many animals may be killed (or fatally injured)
but not retrieved. As the quota is based on 'landed catch' the number
of seals actually killed is far greater.

The Canadian Government claims that the commercial seal hunt is humane
and well regulated but independent veterinarians disagree. In 2001 a
team observed sealers at work and examined carcasses left on the ice.
They found that 79% of sealers did not check to see if an animal was
dead before skinning it, in 40% of cases the animal had to be struck
or shot a second time and that a staggering 42% of seals were probably
conscious when skinned. Despite evidence of this cruelty being passed
to the Canadian authorities no prosecutions have resulted.

-

The following are extracts of direct testimony from sealers, taken by
Canada's Department of Fisheries and Oceans staff. It was obtained
through Access to Information laws, and contains graphic descriptions
of animal cruelty. To date, seven charges have been laid as a result
of the investigation, but only one has resulted in a court hearing.
The testimony was supplied with all names removed.

" I did see some mother seals killed and the pup fall out on deck
still alive. XXXXX told me to throw it overboard and I did. It crawled
up on a pan of ice. The mother was full of milk, the milk ran out on
deck when the pup fell out."

"I remember taking the male and female and leaving the pup, this
happened a few times. I wondered if the pup would survive." "I often
see seals alive after we hoist them out of the speed boats".

Canada is dismissive of the international opposition it faces to this
hideously cruel practice and shows contempt for world opinion on the
issue. The Canadian Government is now promoting one of the cruellest
hunts in history. It is using the seals as 'scapegoats' for its own
mistakes having overseen the depletion of North Atlantic fish stocks
by over fishing.

It is time for the public to show that they will not tolerate these
excesses.

Canada is blatantly circumventing a European law aimed at stopping
this terrible slaughter and it is now time for us to fight back.

In 2001 UK tourists spent the equivalent of 1.026 billion Canadian
dollars - this is a massive source of income to Canada. Whereas the
seal hunt, by contrast, is a volatile industry and although accurate
figures are hard to come by it is estimated to be worth approximately
only Can $6 million.

The hunt is actually heavily subsidised by the Canadian Government and
when the subsidies are taken into account it is worth closer to just
Can$ 3million.

Staying away from Canada is the only way you can be sure that none of
your money is being used to subsidise the hunt and will make the
Government, which currently finds it so easy to ignore public opinion,
begin to take notice as its income from tourism declines.

The Canadian Tourist Board's slogan is "Discover our True Nature" - as
its true nature involves clubbing seals to death and skinning them
while they are still alive it is not a great selling point.

BOYCOTT CANADA - ADVISE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME.

Write to
Canadian High Commission,
Macdonald House,
1 Grosvenor Square,
London W1K 4AB

advising them of your outrage at the level of the barbaric seal hunt
and your intention to stay away from their country until it is
stopped.

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?

Register your intention to boycott Canada until the killing stops by
either clicking here to email the three key people involved in tourism
or by writing to them at the following addresses:

Doug Fyfe, President and CEO,
Canada Tourism Commission,
55 Metcalfe Street,
Suite 600,
Ottawa,
Ontario K1P 6LS
Canada

Allan Rock, Minister of Industry,
Industry Canada,
11th Floor, East Tower,
CD Howe Building,
235 Queen Street,
Ottawa,
Ontario ON K1A OHS
Canada

Ian Harrower,
Director Canadian Tourism Commission (UK)
Canada House
62-65 Trafalgar Square
London
WC2N 5DY

Please clearly and politely state that you will be boycotting Canada
while ever the cruel seal hunt continues. Funds are urgently needed to
fight this terrible slaughter.

Please make a contribution as generously as you are able TODAY. Click
here to donate online For more information or to receive a video about
the seal hunt produced by IFAW Canada, please click here to contact us
at Boycott-Canada.com

http://www.boycott-canada.com/

Cheerio

--
To avoid grizzlies, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game advises hikers
to wear noisy little bells on clothes and carry pepper spray. Also watch

Old 17-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Ray

"Sol_Sun_FTM" wrote in message
hey speak fpr yourself.

He speaks for many more people than himself, you top posting savage. Is it
the thought of all the blood and suffering that had addled you brain or are
you ****ed?

One spelling error in a three letter word exceeds even my standards of
ignorance.

Rty Stlater.

Old 17-04-2004, 09:14 PM
KrakAttiK

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:40:32 +0000 (UTC), "Ray"
wrote:

"Sol_Sun_FTM" wrote in message
hey speak fpr yourself.

He speaks for many more people than himself, you top posting savage. Is it
the thought of all the blood and suffering that had addled you brain or are
you ****ed?

One spelling error in a three letter word exceeds even my standards of
ignorance.

Rty Stlater.

I fort that was how ewe speld "hay"!!

Old 17-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Mark H

Shame we couldn't do a cat cull

Old 17-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Bella

"Ray" wrote in message

"Sol_Sun_FTM" wrote in message
hey speak fpr yourself.

He speaks for many more people than himself, you top posting savage. Is it
the thought of all the blood and suffering that had addled you brain or

are
you ****ed?

Hey, at least the rodent carcasses are put to use.

Old 17-04-2004, 09:28 PM
Jim Webster

Old 17-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mark H wrote:
Shame we couldn't do a cat cull

It's the troll cull that I think we really need!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Bas

"Bas" schreef in bericht

Canada we all cry you have to shame yourself
terrible what I've seen on tv.

Bas, Holland
http://www.geocities.com/turbo502002/

Old 17-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Dutch

"Bas" wrote in message

"Bas" schreef in bericht

Canada we all cry you have to shame yourself
terrible what I've seen on tv.

What, do you get the Air Farce over there?

Bas, Holland
http://www.geocities.com/turbo502002/

Old 17-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Mark H