Old 13-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Sla#s

"[H]omer" wrote in message
Living near the beach, as I do, I have access to tonnes of seaweed, and
I remember hearing something about it being good for breaking up clay
and generally good for lawns etc.

SNIP

Saw a very old film about the Arran Isles which are mostly bare rock and
where any grass area was used for grazing. So for crops the islanders
collected the seaweed and laid it out on the bare rock in mounded rows and
grew their vegtables on it!
"Forced to rebuild their environment from the materials at hand, the
islanders literally created new soil by hand, by mixing beach sand with
seaweed, fish meal, and manure. Each patch of new soil was painstakingly
tended and used to grow potatoes and other vegetables, ..."

From: http://www.answers.com/topic/aran-islands

Slatts

Old 14-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Sue Begg

I was on Arran last week visiting a friend. It is a beautiful place.
Woke up to see red squirrels on the feeders, including a black one.

Arran, with 2 r's, is a fertile island off west Scotland.

Janet, Isle of Arran.

--
Sue Begg

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Old 14-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Duncan

"Spider" wrote in message
As far as I'm aware, it's okay to remove seaweed. However, I rather doubt
that it's legal to 'steal' sand from the beach. Certainly, one can't take
rocks and cobbles from the beach. Knowing that at some resorts the

council
has to buy in sand to build up the beach, I can't see them being too happy
to have it depleted by opportunist gardeners.

Of course, you could always ask the local council or the National Trust

(who
own many coastlines) for permission.

Spider

Would the seaweed be Crown property, if it's below high water mark?

I doubt whether HM The Queen would want to lay claim to heaps of stinking
kelp, but His Organicness Prince Charles might !

Old 14-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Duncan wrote:

Would the seaweed be Crown property, if it's below high water mark?

Yes.

I doubt whether HM The Queen would want to lay claim to heaps of stinking
kelp, but His Organicness Prince Charles might !

A) He is a mere subject, just like you and me, until his mother dies.

B) He would almost certainly want to encourage its use by private
collection :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-04-2005, 10:41 PM
suspicious minds

"Duncan" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
As far as I'm aware, it's okay to remove seaweed. However, I rather
doubt
that it's legal to 'steal' sand from the beach. Certainly, one can't
take
rocks and cobbles from the beach. Knowing that at some resorts the

council
has to buy in sand to build up the beach, I can't see them being too
happy
to have it depleted by opportunist gardeners.

Of course, you could always ask the local council or the National Trust

(who
own many coastlines) for permission.

Spider

Would the seaweed be Crown property, if it's below high water mark?

Generally yes, but Magna Carta basically prevented the crown from depriving
the public of it rights that it enjoyed prior to Magna Carta, which was
navigation and fishing in the tidal zone, the gathering of seaweed has
probably been practiced for many millennia and may come under the auspices
of "fishing".

From: http://www.answers.com/topic/aran-islands

Slatts

Seaweed is fantastic in compost bins and in worm bins where it sorts out
acidity /inbalance problems

Just pile it in your compost bins and be grateful for living near the sea

builders sand instead of horticultural sand jw 111 Texas 15 24-08-2005 02:46 PM
Seatpea's and Liquid Seaweed Mike United Kingdom 1 25-06-2003 08:30 PM
Seatpea's and Liquid Seaweed Mike United Kingdom 1 24-06-2003 07:08 PM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
Calcified seaweed? trevor.appleton United Kingdom 0 11-12-2002 09:28 PM