Old 20-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Registered User

Default Garden lighting

I'm thinking of putting garden lighting in my garden in a couple of months when I can afford it, but I'm thinking of installing the cable now. What outdoor electical cable should I use and transformer with in mind installing around 8 spot lights at 20 watts each.
Old 20-04-2005, 04:22 PM
p.k.

paulwilks wrote:
I'm thinking of putting garden lighting in my garden in a couple of
months when I can afford it, but I'm thinking of installing the cable
now. What outdoor electical cable should I use and transformer with in
mind installing around 8 spot lights at 20 watts each.

Best method is to run 240v armoured cable around the garden and take supply
points off that to individual or 2/3/4 way outdoor transformers or to light
units withe theri own transformers. Decent electeical wholesalers should be
able to advise on the detail.

pk

Old 20-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , p.k.
writes
paulwilks wrote:
I'm thinking of putting garden lighting in my garden in a couple of
months when I can afford it, but I'm thinking of installing the cable
now. What outdoor electical cable should I use and transformer with in
mind installing around 8 spot lights at 20 watts each.

Best method is to run 240v armoured cable around the garden and take supply
points off that to individual or 2/3/4 way outdoor transformers or to light
units withe theri own transformers.

It might be 'the best', but it certainly wouldn't be the easiest. The
cable would need burying deeply enough (maybe 18 inches if the ground is
or would likely to be cultivated) or fixing securely out of the way to
walls etc. At each 'point' the cable will need terminating at some sort
of junction box or enclosure, which would require fixing to something,
with all the joints having to be made - ok but SWA is a bit more faffy
than plain cable. ND IF I was goign to the effort of running SWA I'd
probably wan to terminate it at it's own way in the consumer unit.

TBH, if I was running SWA all round the place it's be maybe easier to
just use mains fittings and forget the LV stuff.

Personally I'd try to just use LV lights and minimize the mains cable
used, for ease of use and speed of installation, much depends on where
the lights are to be in terms of distance from house or other mains
electrical supply.

Note as well that I would imagine (without checking) that this would
come under the new Part P of the building regs, which says that most
electrical work carried out on dwellings either require building regs.
approval or has to be carried out by an Electrician who can 'self
certify'. You may or may not consider this important to consider of
course.......

Part P has been much discussed over on uk.d-i-y, I commend Google Groups
to you here

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 20-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Mike

Being blunt and honest as I am, if you need to come to a newsgroup to ask
such questions, my advice would be, get a qualified Electrician in. If you
cannot afford such a person. Don't do it. You are a long time dead.

Mike

Old 21-04-2005, 01:28 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Mike
writes
Being blunt and honest as I am, if you need to come to a newsgroup to ask
such questions, my advice would be, get a qualified Electrician in. If you
cannot afford such a person. Don't do it. You are a long time dead.

Being blunt back then :-), I think this a very negative POV.

There is nothing in principle that is that difficult about such a job,
certainly if you have some DIY electrical experience, as long as you
approach the job in sensible manner.

It's certainly reasonable to come along to newsgroup to enquire about
suggestions as to the best way to approach such job, to help you decide
if you can should do the job/ and how to go about it.

however, I'd suggest uk.d-i-y as better place for the question. As a
number of the denizens have professional as well has amateur electrical
experience.

Old 21-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Mike

Being blunt back then :-), I think this a very negative POV.

Good. It was meant to be and if I have put some warning into the poster's
mind, and he seeks professional advice and it saves just one person from
getting a shock, then good again.

There is nothing in principle that is that difficult about such a job,
certainly if you have some DIY electrical experience, as long as you
approach the job in sensible manner.

I feel that if the poster had some DIY electrical experience, he would not
have asked what cable to use.

It's certainly reasonable to come along to newsgroup to enquire about
suggestions as to the best way to approach such job, to help you decide
if you can should do the job/ and how to go about it.

I would have thought the poster would have said/asked "What have other
people done and what have they used?"

however, I'd suggest uk.d-i-y as better place for the question. As a
number of the denizens have professional as well has amateur electrical
experience.

I am 100% with you there :-)) possibly cross posting the original question
there as well.

Mike
Who has great respect for electricity because I know I cannot beat it :-((
and it 'bites'

FS: Garden Lighting Dean Lawns 1 30-04-2011 08:21 PM
Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting JHudson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-12-2003 06:32 AM
Garden Lighting by Design Matt Cody United Kingdom 55 20-11-2002 05:46 PM