Old 22-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Registered User

Location: Manchester
Default growing holyhocks from seed?

collected losts of holyhock seeds last year and i'm about to attempt to grow them, any suggestions/recommendations for a novice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Matt
Old 22-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger303
collected losts of holyhock seeds last year and i'm about to attempt to grow them, any suggestions/recommendations for a novice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Matt
Hi Matt,

I posted a very similar message earlier in the year and received a really helpful reply from Mike Lyle 29 Jan. If you go into Search, hollyhock, you'll find it. In case Mike reads this, my first hollyhocks are now up and running - many thanks!!

jay jay
Old 22-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Sue Begg

In message , Tiger303
writes

--
Tiger303

I found the two year old seed that I planted this year sprouted like
weeds. One of the easiest plants to germinate that I have found and they
all seemed to germinate at the same time so it was easy to prick them
out as soon as they got big enough to handle. I just used standard
potting compost with a bit of grit added.
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Old 22-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Mike Lyle

jay jay wrote:
Tiger303 Wrote:
collected losts of holyhock seeds last year and i'm about to

attempt
to grow them, any suggestions/recommendations for a novice would

be
greatly appreciated.

cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

I posted a very similar message earlier in the year and received a
really helpful reply from Mike Lyle 29 Jan. If you go into Search,
hollyhock, you'll find it. In case Mike reads this, my first
hollyhocks are now up and running - many thanks!!

It's a pleasure, jay jay! Love those things.

--
Mike.

Old 22-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Duncan Heenan

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
jay jay wrote:
Tiger303 Wrote:
collected losts of holyhock seeds last year and i'm about to

attempt
to grow them, any suggestions/recommendations for a novice would

be
greatly appreciated.

cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

I posted a very similar message earlier in the year and received a
really helpful reply from Mike Lyle 29 Jan. If you go into Search,
hollyhock, you'll find it. In case Mike reads this, my first
hollyhocks are now up and running - many thanks!!

It's a pleasure, jay jay! Love those things.

--
Mike.

I have grown hollyhocks from seed. They like poor soil and growing in
crevasses and between rocks. If you pot grow them, plant them out in such a
place, preferably in a sunny place and something to lean on when they get
big is ideal. Don't expect too much in the first year, as they spend that
year mostly developing their roots, They will appear to die in the winter,
but don't disturb the roots and be patient and in the second year and ever
after they'll get big and beautiful.

Old 23-04-2005, 01:08 AM
andrewpreece

"Tiger303" wrote in message

collected losts of holyhock seeds last year and i'm about to attempt to
grow them, any suggestions/recommendations for a novice would be
greatly appreciated.

cheers

Matt

As a previous poster intimated, you will not get them to flower this year
IME,
as they are biennials. Actually they are perennials but the advice is that
rust
weakens them after year two so it is better to replace them. That said, I'm
letting mine go into their third year ( second flowering season ) out of
laziness, and they seem to be coming on OK.

Andy.

Old 25-04-2005, 11:18 AM
spakker

"Tiger303" wrote in message

collected losts of holyhock seeds last year and i'm about to attempt to
grow them, any suggestions/recommendations for a novice would be
greatly appreciated.

I found that slugs/snails were the major problem and they were nearly eaten
to death.