Old 26-04-2005, 10:50 AM
BAC

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in snip

They will starve, or be eaten, since obviously there will be too many

be
supported on that waste ground because it (a) wont have the nice tender
plants you supply, or (b) the particular ones (eg lily beetles eat
lillies
(how many are there in the waste ground area?) and (c) it will already

have
the maximum number of individuals that can be supported by the plant

growth
and the local predators. You are just killing them differently.

Slugs dying of starvation? If that were the case, wouldn't the 'huge

area
of
overgrown wasteland' be denuded of plants first?

"They will starve, or be eaten" ..

Or die, eventually, from some other cause, like disease, yes - but it
doesn't seem very likely they will starve if the area into which they are
introduced features an abundance of greenstuff and other slug fodder, which
seems likely, given the description, 'overgrown'.

It will of course be denuded of plants that provide easy sustenance for
slugs (ie the ones you'd find in gardens) , the remaining ones will be
tougher and provide less 'easy pickin's'

Most common species of slugs have a very catholic taste in food, both above
and below ground, and animal as well as vegetable, hence my doubt that many
of them would actually die of starvation.

If there was no predation, and the plants were easy to eat, then in that
patch the local slug/snail pop would expand until all the plants were

gone.
Obvious if you think about it, why wouldnt they?

If there were no cause of death other than starvation or predation, and if
there were no predators in the wasteland, it might well be that the
population would grow to the point where insufficient food was available,
leading to a largely denuded area and causing a (starvation induced) slug
population crash. But is it very likely this happens often in practise?

Old 26-04-2005, 08:21 PM
batgirl

Oh dear, how horrible.

"Alan" wrote in message
news:426dea75$0$558$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp- Dumpweed is a pro hunt nut so I
guess that explains all.

Old 26-04-2005, 08:23 PM
batgirl

Couldn't have put it better myself!

"Alan" wrote in message
news:426dea37$0$558$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp- Quite right. Some of these idiots
here just hate sharing anything with
anything, if they perhaps took the time to think about the life of
something else then they just might well wake up and realise that a
garden with slugs, snails, moles, foxes etc is just how a garden is
supposed to be and enjoy it. Strange how the vast majority of us just
enjoy nature and there are a minority of weirdos who find it so hard
to live with!

Probably all couch potatoes.

Old 27-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Tumbleweed

"batgirl" wrote in message
Oh dear, how horrible.

"Alan" wrote in message
news:426dea75$0$558$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp- Dumpweed is a pro hunt nut so I
guess that explains all.

Dunno where he gets that from. Hmmm, thinks, perhaps I do..I said that a
hunting ban was impractical and wouldnt work...there you go, apparently that
makes me 'pro hunt' and a 'nut' ....so, did the hunting ban work then? Are
there more or less foxes being killed than before? has hunting stopped?
"Alan" it seems has the Dubya B logic, "if you dont agree with what I say
you must agree with my opponents and what they want". Its clear who is the
nut.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
Moles ROY MCMASTER Australia 4 17-04-2003 01:08 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Moles VS Voles smitty48 Edible Gardening 3 22-03-2003 08:44 PM
How do you get rid of moles without traps Susan E Desjardins Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 06:44 PM