Old 23-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Sue Begg

In message , w.g.s.hamm
writes

send them to me too because I like moles better than I would like a pristine
lawn.

You haven't read my original post properly have you?
I don't mind them in the lawn.
It is by no means pristine it has dogs and grandchildren playing on it
because that's what gardens are for.
It is the loss of all my plants and hard work in the flower bed that is
upsetting me.
The whole garden is in arable land and surrounded by a 'conservation
strip' but I assume there are more worms in the flower bed :-(
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Old 23-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Alan Holmes

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"batgirl" wrote in message
Bristol, bring 'em on! Seriously though, I very strongly believe that I
SHARE my garden with ALL creatures. What arrogance and cruelty to
exterminate a living creature because it is trying to make a home in it's
diminishing habitat. I would be truly honoured to have moles living in my
garden.

Clare

...waiting for the inevitable onslaught ;-)

Does that include lilly beetles, slugs, snails, caterpillars etc, or is it
just furry creatures?

Don't forget rats and mice!

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 23-04-2005, 09:10 PM
batgirl

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
Does that include lilly beetles, slugs, snails, caterpillars etc, or is it
just furry creatures?

No, all creatures. I think lily beetles are absolutely gorgeous! Take the
time to look at one closely before you squish it. They are such a stunning
colour. I realise a lot of you will think I am mad but I really can't kill
anything in the garden. I would rather work around the so called 'pests'. I
collect all the slugs and snails in a bucket and rehome them on a huge area
of overgrown waste area near my house. You may think this a lot of effort
but that way I live in harmony with nature.

Clare

Old 24-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Tumbleweed

"batgirl" wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
Does that include lilly beetles, slugs, snails, caterpillars etc, or is
it just furry creatures?

No, all creatures. I think lily beetles are absolutely gorgeous! Take the
time to look at one closely before you squish it. They are such a stunning
colour. I realise a lot of you will think I am mad but I really can't kill
anything in the garden. I would rather work around the so called 'pests'.
I collect all the slugs and snails in a bucket and rehome them on a huge
area of overgrown waste area near my house. You may think this a lot of
effort but that way I live in harmony with nature.

Clare

They will starve, or be eaten, since obviously there will be too many to be
supported on that waste ground because it (a) wont have the nice tender
plants you supply, or (b) the particular ones (eg lily beetles eat lillies
(how many are there in the waste ground area?) and (c) it will already have
the maximum number of individuals that can be supported by the plant growth
and the local predators. You are just killing them differently.

Old 25-04-2005, 10:39 AM
BAC

"batgirl" wrote in message

[...]

Slugs dying of starvation? If that were the case, wouldn't the 'huge area of
overgrown wasteland' be denuded of plants first?

Old 25-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Magwitch

Sue Begg muttered:

I then got in the local pest chap with his strychnine (sp?) worms. They
haven't worked either. A lot of plants have died because of the
tunnelling through the roots and I am now at my wits end. All
suggestions gratefully received.

My Dad used to have a collection of mole traps which did indeed catch two or
three a year. They always came back though. Have you thought about burying
cheap rubber trugs below the soil surface (with adequate drainage holes
punched in) and planting anything special in them?

You could equalise the equation slightly by using the mole hill soil as part
of a loam based compost for your containers, cuttings etc, it's been nicely
fluffed up already for you ;o)

Old 25-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Tumbleweed

"batgirl" wrote in message

[...]

"They will starve, or be eaten" ..

It will of course be denuded of plants that provide easy sustenance for
slugs (ie the ones you'd find in gardens) , the remaining ones will be
tougher and provide less 'easy pickin's'

If there was no predation, and the plants were easy to eat, then in that
patch the local slug/snail pop would expand until all the plants were gone.
Obvious if you think about it, why wouldnt they?

Old 25-04-2005, 09:23 PM
batgirl

I only take the slugs and snails down to the waste ground and there seems to
be plenty to eat. It's not like I take huge buckets of them every week!!!
I've seen plenty of snails there so they survive somehow.
Lily beetles - I consider them a bonus! I love them, they're so pretty. I
wouldn't move them.

Clare

Old 26-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Alan

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:23:01 +0000 (UTC), "batgirl"
wrote:

I only take the slugs and snails down to the waste ground and there seems to
be plenty to eat. It's not like I take huge buckets of them every week!!!
I've seen plenty of snails there so they survive somehow.
Lily beetles - I consider them a bonus! I love them, they're so pretty. I
wouldn't move them.

Clare

Quite right. Some of these idiots here just hate sharing anything with
anything, if they perhaps took the time to think about the life of
something else then they just might well wake up and realise that a
garden with slugs, snails, moles, foxes etc is just how a garden is
supposed to be and enjoy it. Strange how the vast majority of us just
enjoy nature and there are a minority of weirdos who find it so hard
to live with!

Probably all couch potatoes.

Old 26-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Alan

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 20:10:39 +0000 (UTC), "batgirl"
wrote:

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
Does that include lilly beetles, slugs, snails, caterpillars etc, or is it
just furry creatures?

No, all creatures. I think lily beetles are absolutely gorgeous! Take the
time to look at one closely before you squish it. They are such a stunning
colour. I realise a lot of you will think I am mad but I really can't kill
anything in the garden. I would rather work around the so called 'pests'. I
collect all the slugs and snails in a bucket and rehome them on a huge area
of overgrown waste area near my house. You may think this a lot of effort
but that way I live in harmony with nature.

Clare

Dumpweed is a pro hunt nut so I guess that explains all.
Old 26-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Alan

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:13:22 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Sue Begg contains these words:

It is the loss of all my plants and hard work in the flower bed that is
upsetting me.
The whole garden is in arable land and surrounded by a 'conservation
strip' but I assume there are more worms in the flower bed :-(

The reason there are more worms in your flower bed, could be the
protective shelter you provided (old slates surface mulch). You have
created an ideal worm world, a pleasantly dim dark place with plenty of
food and loose soil, sheltered from frost, sun, and drying wind. Where
worms congregate, the local mole is sure to follow.

So now you want to get rid of the worms to stop the moles! Sigh.......
whats the world coming to?

Old 26-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Alan

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:08:42 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"batgirl" wrote in message
Bristol, bring 'em on! Seriously though, I very strongly believe that I
SHARE my garden with ALL creatures. What arrogance and cruelty to
exterminate a living creature because it is trying to make a home in it's
diminishing habitat. I would be truly honoured to have moles living in my
garden.

Clare

...waiting for the inevitable onslaught ;-)

Does that include lilly beetles, slugs, snails, caterpillars etc, or is it
just furry creatures?

Why shouldnt it? Or do you just have a fixation with furry things!

Old 26-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Sue Begg

In message , Alan
writes
wrote:

The message
from Sue Begg contains these words:

It is the loss of all my plants and hard work in the flower bed that is
upsetting me.
The whole garden is in arable land and surrounded by a 'conservation
strip' but I assume there are more worms in the flower bed :-(

The reason there are more worms in your flower bed, could be the
protective shelter you provided (old slates surface mulch). You have
created an ideal worm world, a pleasantly dim dark place with plenty of
food and loose soil, sheltered from frost, sun, and drying wind. Where
worms congregate, the local mole is sure to follow.

So now you want to get rid of the worms to stop the moles! Sigh.......
whats the world coming to?

I was horrified to see killing the worms as a solution to the mole
problem in one search that I did.
At the moment I am disturbing the ground where the hills appear and they
seem to have taken the hint and moved onto the grass. That is great I
shall just spread the hills before I mow.
Thanks for the suggestion to plant valued plants in buried trugs, but
unfortunately it is a complex flower bed. We got married last June and
since at our age ( 21 and a very big bit ! ) we needed towels and
ornaments like a hole in the head we asked for a plant from everyone and
I have labelled these and have a flower bed full of wedding guests - If
you get my meaning, although I must admit there were a couple I would
have liked to have planted :-)

Old 26-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Alan

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:31:56 +0100, Sue Begg
wrote:

In message , Alan
writes
wrote:

The message
from Sue Begg contains these words:

It is the loss of all my plants and hard work in the flower bed that is
upsetting me.
The whole garden is in arable land and surrounded by a 'conservation
strip' but I assume there are more worms in the flower bed :-(

The reason there are more worms in your flower bed, could be the
protective shelter you provided (old slates surface mulch). You have
created an ideal worm world, a pleasantly dim dark place with plenty of
food and loose soil, sheltered from frost, sun, and drying wind. Where
worms congregate, the local mole is sure to follow.

So now you want to get rid of the worms to stop the moles! Sigh.......
whats the world coming to?

I was horrified to see killing the worms as a solution to the mole
problem in one search that I did.

Have you tried the windmill things from the seaside, they seemed to
work for us.

At the moment I am disturbing the ground where the hills appear and they
seem to have taken the hint and moved onto the grass. That is great I
shall just spread the hills before I mow.
Thanks for the suggestion to plant valued plants in buried trugs, but
unfortunately it is a complex flower bed. We got married last June and
since at our age ( 21 and a very big bit ! ) we needed towels and
ornaments like a hole in the head we asked for a plant from everyone and
I have labelled these and have a flower bed full of wedding guests - If
you get my meaning, although I must admit there were a couple I would
have liked to have planted :-)

Im sure we all have a few of those should you feel the need for more
ha ha.

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
Moles ROY MCMASTER Australia 4 17-04-2003 01:08 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Moles VS Voles smitty48 Edible Gardening 3 22-03-2003 08:44 PM
How do you get rid of moles without traps Susan E Desjardins Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 06:44 PM