Old 28-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Registered User

Default Recommend a clematis

Another clematis thread (sorry?)

Ive got a sunny raised border and 3-4m by 2m of shed/trellis to cover.

Id like to grow a couple together ie prolonging flowering time, but i have my concerns about pruning ie hard pruning one and leaving the other (s) intact.

Some have been suggested already in other threads, but i want to clarify it?

Thanks
Old 29-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Charlie Pridham

--
gasdoctor

It is possible to chose two hard prune sorts with widely spaced flowering
periods Say Etoile Violette June-Aug and Huldine Aug-Oct (there are of
course many others :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 29-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Spider

gasdoctor wrote in message

Another clematis thread (sorry?)

Ive got a sunny raised border and 3-4m by 2m of shed/trellis to cover.

Id like to grow a couple together ie prolonging flowering time, but i
have my concerns about pruning ie hard pruning one and leaving the
other (s) intact.

Some have been suggested already in other threads, but i want to
clarify it?

Thanks

--
gasdoctor

Hi Gasdoctor,

Do they both have to be Clematis? I would suggest that you train a
Chaenomeles (ornamental Quince) to your trellis for early spring to end of
May blossom. Then plant Clematis texensis 'Duchess of Albany' for July to
frosts blossom. This Clematis has lovely pendant tulip-like flowers with
recurved petals. In my garden it is always admired. I cut mine back to
9"-12" above ground in autumn and it comes back as a thicket of growth in
spring. I've never grown such a reliable Clematis as this before!

With these two completely different growth forms, you would have no problem
with pruning. You could even plant Snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis) underneath
for Jan/Feb flowers.

Spider

Old 01-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Spider
writes
Do they both have to be Clematis? I would suggest that you train a
Chaenomeles (ornamental Quince) to your trellis for early spring to end of
May blossom.

If you keep cutting laterals back to one or two buds you can prolong the
flowering almost indefinitely. I have flowers on most of the year on
mine but I cut back constantly as it is the short spurs that flower.

janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 06-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider
Then plant Clematis texensis 'Duchess of Albany' for July to
frosts blossom. This Clematis has lovely pendant tulip-like flowers with
recurved petals. In my garden it is always admired. I cut mine back to
9"-12" above ground in autumn and it comes back as a thicket of growth in
spring. I've never grown such a reliable Clematis as this before!
texensis are lovely clematis, long flowering period and easy to prune, personally i prefer the 'princess diana' variety to albany for the shape and colour of its flowers

if your looking for a fastgrowing, longe flowering purple clematis, try 'semu'. different pruning in that u just cut away stems down to new buds end of feb, but well worthwhile imo