Old 29-04-2005, 08:06 PM
MM

Default Samphire-like weed?

The neighbours warned me about a samphire-like weed that grows here
(Fens) profusely. It's coming up all round the edges of my new lawn.
It is quite an ugly looking little plant. What is its actual name?

See photo at http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com

MM
Old 29-04-2005, 08:14 PM
davek

"MM" wrote in message
The neighbours warned me about a samphire-like weed that grows here
(Fens) profusely. It's coming up all round the edges of my new lawn.

Like you say it looks like samphire, or is it glasswort?
DaveK.

Old 29-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Kay

In article , MM
writes
The neighbours warned me about a samphire-like weed that grows here
(Fens) profusely. It's coming up all round the edges of my new lawn.
It is quite an ugly looking little plant. What is its actual name?

See photo at http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com

Not horsetail, is it?

Very primitive plant, should be respected for its toughness and survival
;-)

The very things, of course, that make it so hard to get rid of!

--
Kay

Old 29-04-2005, 08:54 PM
MM

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:24:26 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , MM
writes
The neighbours warned me about a samphire-like weed that grows here
(Fens) profusely. It's coming up all round the edges of my new lawn.
It is quite an ugly looking little plant. What is its actual name?

See photo at http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com

Not horsetail, is it?

Very primitive plant, should be respected for its toughness and survival
;-)

The very things, of course, that make it so hard to get rid of!

It keeps coming back. Maybe, once the lawn is established, I can go
over it with feed and weed or something.

MM
Old 29-04-2005, 08:55 PM
MM

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:14:16 +0100, "davek"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
The neighbours warned me about a samphire-like weed that grows here
(Fens) profusely. It's coming up all round the edges of my new lawn.

Like you say it looks like samphire, or is it glasswort?

Hey, glasswort looks very much like it!
http://www.calflora.net/bloomingplants/glasswort.html

MM

Old 29-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Kay

In article , MM
writes
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:14:16 +0100, "davek"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
. ..
The neighbours warned me about a samphire-like weed that grows here
(Fens) profusely. It's coming up all round the edges of my new lawn.

Like you say it looks like samphire, or is it glasswort?

Hey, glasswort looks very much like it!
http://www.calflora.net/bloomingplants/glasswort.html

Glasswort is fleshier than the thing in your photo.
Glasswort has very few branches. Yours has whorls of 'branches' at
regular intervals.

Have a look at

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/horsetail.htm
--