Old 30-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Registered User

Location: south west france
Default buxus plants - replanting

I have 20 buxus plants, two and a half years old and about 9" high. I would like to move them into my potager, not far from where they are, so similar conditions. At the moment they are thriving. Is now a good time or is ever a good time?

jay jay
Old 30-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Draven

--
jay jay

Out of interest how tall were they when you planted them?

Just that I put some in last year (about 30 of them) they were about 10cm
high each and now they are about 30cm in height.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Hi, mine were small plugs when I bought them, about 4cms high, but I have been clippping them.

I hope someone can let me know if they can transplant easily, but I'll try one out anyway, and see.

jay jay
Old 02-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay jay
I have 20 buxus plants, two and a half years old and about 9" high. I would like to move them into my potager, not far from where they are, so similar conditions. At the moment they are thriving. Is now a good time or is ever a good time?

jay jay

I don't know for sure - but I took some box cuttings last autumn and transplanted them into bigger pots about a month ago - and all is looking good. They seem to transplant quite well.

Zoe
Old 02-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay jay
I have 20 buxus plants, two and a half years old and about 9" high. I would like to move them into my potager, not far from where they are, so similar conditions. At the moment they are thriving. Is now a good time or is ever a good time?

jay jay

Your post got me thinking - here is an excerpt from a website I found about buxus...

TRANSPLANTING

Boxwoods can be transplanted at any time except when they are in active growth or when the ground is frozen.

Rootballs should be large and solid. Dwarf boxwoods require a rootball with a
diameter at least half the diameter of the top of the plant. Tree boxwoods
should have a rootball with a diameter at least one-third the height of the
top.

Plants 2 to 3 feet higher broad should be shaded for a year after
transplanting. A lattice that cuts off about half the light should be used.
Shading is especially important if the plants are moved from a partly shaded
to an exposed site. The lattice should clear the foliage by 10 to 18 inches
and should protect at least the sunny sides as well as the top of the plant.

Newly transplanted boxwoods must be watered thoroughly and regularly. Direct a slow flow of water underneath the crow to the trunk. Continue watering until the rootball is wet all the way through. Build a low ridge of soil around the rootball to prevent wasting water and to allow thorough wetting.

Any buxus hedging experts? Mathew United Kingdom 1 24-08-2004 02:09 PM
Any buxus hedging experts? Mathew United Kingdom 2 23-08-2004 10:08 AM
Buxus anatomy Martin Hodson Plant Science 5 11-06-2003 10:44 PM
buxus MART United Kingdom 2 19-05-2003 09:20 PM
Bronze leaved buxus sempervirens info wanted Annabel United Kingdom 2 24-02-2003 10:34 AM