Old 04-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Judith Lea

Default birds

I have a clematis over my front door and obviously it's not in leaf now.
However we have 2 nests there and usually the birds vacate the nests for
the winter. One nest is still fully occupied and dropping its "droppings"
over my pansies in a pot. Why have the birds chosen not to go away this
year? If I take the nest away, would the birds be able to make another
elsewhere ? or would they suffer? if so they can lodge on a little longer.
--
Judith Lea
Old 05-02-2003, 11:42 AM
Malcolm

In article , Judith Lea
writes
I have a clematis over my front door and obviously it's not in leaf now.
However we have 2 nests there and usually the birds vacate the nests for
the winter. One nest is still fully occupied and dropping its "droppings"
over my pansies in a pot. Why have the birds chosen not to go away this
year? If I take the nest away, would the birds be able to make another
elsewhere ? or would they suffer? if so they can lodge on a little longer.

One or more birds are using the nests to roost in - nice, warm, secure
places to spend the cold nights. If you take it away they will have to
find somewhere else and you will have to live with your conscience! Once
the weather warms up, it is likely that they will choose somewhere else
anyway, though perhaps not for some weeks.

Can you not put up a ledge under the nest so that the droppings fall on
that and not on your pansies? It doesn't have to be very big. Or, I
suppose, you could move your pansies......?

--
Malcolm
Old 05-02-2003, 02:55 PM
DeVille

"Malcolm" wrote in a message:

Can you not put up a ledge under the nest so that the droppings fall on
that and not on your pansies? It doesn't have to be very big. Or, I
suppose, you could move your pansies......?

---

I used to have sparrow droppings falling on my plants from a nest under the
eaves of my house. Not content with that, each spring, the blighters would
attack my primrose petals, turning them into confetti like scraps. Now all
our sparrows have long since gone and I quite miss them.

DeVille

Old 05-02-2003, 08:15 PM
Judith Lea

In article , Sue & Bob
Hobden writes
Judith, you don't say which type of bird is roosting there,

I can't tell one bird from another, they are small, sort of bird size.

Please don't remove the nest until it's no longer needed, possibly April!

No, I won't move the nest at the moment. However, if I do move it in the
Spring, what will the returning occupants do?

I actually think you're quite lucky, what's a few Pansies? :-)

Thank you, you are quite right. Thanks to all who offered advice - now,
do I need to leave out any food for them as the ground is fairly well
frozen and worms will be scarce.
--
Judith Lea

Old 06-02-2003, 10:35 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Sue & Bob Hobden
writes
We did have House
Martins nesting under our eaves at the E. side of the house when the house
was first built but when I first repainted it I had to remove the nests and
they never came back.

When we repainted we painted round the nests! The birds would zoom in to
feed the youngsters while we were up the ladder, paintbrushes in hand
))

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,