Old 04-05-2005, 01:25 PM
JB

On Wed, 4 May 2005 12:58:47 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Neil Tonks
writes

controlled, provided the receiver registers with the Environment Agency and
a few other conditions are met (such as not storing more than 1,250 tons of
it any time!)

Both the gardeners who I spoke to on Monday have gardens of more than 5
acres and one has a trailer load of muck every week, so he may well
store quite a sizeable amount.

Surely not more than 1250 tonnes! That's the equivalent of about 40
juggernauts full of the the stuff. Even a trailer every week and left
for 6 months would be hard pushed to reach 40 / 50 tonnes.

Quick question for any horsey types out there. How much manure does a
horse create? i.e. how many horses would you need to acquire a muck
heap weighing 1250 tonnes?

JB

Old 04-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Registered User

Location: cambridgeshire

Quick question for any horsey types out there. How much manure does a
horse create? i.e. how many horses would you need to acquire a muck
heap weighing 1250 tonnes?

Well, My horse produces about 1 and half well heaped, average sized wheelbarrows a day (he is a bit of a beast at 16.3hh) so on avaerage about 1 barrow a day and I have 6 horses on my yard. I am not sure how much weight 1 barrow is but it is pretty heavy. So it averages out at about 2190 barrows of poo a year for 6 horses, possibly more!

If anyone else want to work out the weight conversion please do ;o)
Old 04-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , JB
writes

Both the gardeners who I spoke to on Monday have gardens of more than 5
acres and one has a trailer load of muck every week, so he may well
store quite a sizeable amount.

Surely not more than 1250 tonnes! That's the equivalent of about 40
juggernauts full of the the stuff. Even a trailer every week and left
for 6 months would be hard pushed to reach 40 / 50 tonnes.

Quick question for any horsey types out there. How much manure does a
horse create? i.e. how many horses would you need to acquire a muck
heap weighing 1250 tonnes?

JB

The average horse produces nine tonnes of manure a year according to
Horse and Hound who reported the story in April at

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/63473.html

they said
"A muck heap of less than five tonnes will not incur a charge, but one
of between five and 50 tonnes will cost £252 for the first year and £174
thereafter, while 50-400 tonnes will cost £482 for the first year and
£402 each year after that"
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 05-05-2005, 09:48 AM
JB

On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:16:18 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , JB
writes
Quick question for any horsey types out there. How much manure does a
horse create? i.e. how many horses would you need to acquire a muck
heap weighing 1250 tonnes?

JB

The average horse produces nine tonnes of manure a year according to
Horse and Hound who reported the story in April at

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/63473.html

they said
"A muck heap of less than five tonnes will not incur a charge, but one
of between five and 50 tonnes will cost £252 for the first year and £174
thereafter, while 50-400 tonnes will cost £482 for the first year and
£402 each year after that"

Now I'm confused! (not that I wasn't before). In that article they
refer to the costs and then state "There may be exemptions on a
case-by-case basis, but individuals will have to speak to their local
Environment Agency" and defra's own web site explicitly mentions
storage of less than 1250 tonnes, composting use of manure for
agricultural benefit as allowing exemption. So where does the charge
for a 5 tonne muck heap arise?

JB

Storing Manure Jane United Kingdom 3 04-07-2006 12:58 PM
[IBC] BONSAI Digest - 27 Jul 2005 to 28 Jul 2005 (#2005-208) [email protected] Bonsai 0 29-07-2005 01:25 PM
Storing manure? Jim W United Kingdom 4 30-04-2003 06:44 PM