Old 03-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Pam Moore

Default clematis planting

I know we should not plant a clematis in the same place where one has
died, in case of wilt, but for how many years does this apply?
I lost 2 cllematis (one in back garden, one in front) during the
winter of 2002/2003. No growth appeared in 2003, though one in
particular had grown profusely in 2002.
I want to replace them. Could I take a chance and replant?
Replacing a LOT of the soil isn't practical for me.
Any thoughts?
TIA

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Tumbleweed

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I know we should not plant a clematis in the same place where one has
died, in case of wilt, but for how many years does this apply?
I lost 2 cllematis (one in back garden, one in front) during the
winter of 2002/2003. No growth appeared in 2003, though one in
particular had grown profusely in 2002.
I want to replace them. Could I take a chance and replant?
Replacing a LOT of the soil isn't practical for me.
Any thoughts?
TIA

Pam in Bristol

I've waited several years and then had new ones die within a few months.
they'll be heathy one day then just keel over. Seems to be very localised,
other clematis are fine, but there are soeme spots in my garden they
seemingly wont establish. maybe if you dug out a reasonable amount of soil
and replaced it with soil from a good patch? I have never tried that so I
dont know how much would be needed.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Clematis with Halictid Bee - Clematis with Halictid Bee.jpg (1/1) Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 0 23-04-2007 12:00 AM
Clematis with Halictid Bee - Clematis with Halictid Bee.jpg (0/1) Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 0 23-04-2007 12:00 AM
Clematis - Clematis-Bright-Sun.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 2 22-04-2007 10:14 PM
Planting Clematis Jan United Kingdom 1 14-02-2004 01:12 PM
clematis planting Rosie United Kingdom 25 24-03-2003 11:20 PM