Old 05-05-2005, 06:53 PM
keith ;-\)

Default cardiocrinum giganteum seed germination.

Has anyone successfully germinated cardiocrinum.I have read they need to be
warmer for a couple of weeks then to be placed in the fridge for 3 weeks.Any
info appreciated.
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Sue Begg

In message , "keith ;-)"
writes
Has anyone successfully germinated cardiocrinum.I have read they need to be
warmer for a couple of weeks then to be placed in the fridge for 3 weeks.Any
info appreciated.
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

They can take an absolute age. Don't be in a hurry to throw them away.
Put them in a sheltered corner and check every so often. They sometimes
germinate after you have given up hope. Seems to germinate better fresh
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Old 06-05-2005, 07:43 PM
fynbos

Sow at 20C for 2-4 weeks
Then 0C for 4-6 weeks
Then move to 4-14C for germination

Old 06-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 05 May 2005 17:53:45 GMT, "keith ;-\)"
wrote:

Has anyone successfully germinated cardiocrinum.I have read they need to be
warmer for a couple of weeks then to be placed in the fridge for 3 weeks.Any
info appreciated.

These things that need chilling to germinate (and they are legion) are
best sown as soon as the seed ripens in the fall and the seed
pot/tray/flat/whatever kept in an UNHEATED coldframe over winter. A
few shovelfuls of snow on top of it never hurts if you get the white
stuff coming down.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada
Old 08-05-2005, 09:05 AM
keith ;-\)

I had them in the greenhouse so they have had the 20 c,they are in the
fridge at the moment so is this cool enough?

Old 08-05-2005, 05:40 PM
fynbos

The temperatures in your fridge should do just fine, they don't require
freezing.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Des Higgins

wrote:

Has anyone successfully germinated cardiocrinum.I have read they need

be
warmer for a couple of weeks then to be placed in the fridge for 3

weeks.Any
info appreciated.

These things that need chilling to germinate (and they are legion) are
best sown as soon as the seed ripens in the fall and the seed
pot/tray/flat/whatever kept in an UNHEATED coldframe over winter. A
few shovelfuls of snow on top of it never hurts if you get the white
stuff coming down.

I once managed to get hundreds to germinate by accident by
1) placing seed on peat/potting compost in a heated propoehhh
propaehhhhhthingamajig in early Summer from freshish seed (that years crop);
I paid careful attention to them and absolutely nothing happened.
2) I got bored waiting and turned the propogater/propagetor (whatever way it
is spelled) off
3) I never got round to clearing the propothing out and left the seeds
overwinter; they did not get freezing cold; just 1-5degrees C or so at
lowest; this was in an unheated back room in a big draughty house.
4) I went to clear out the propothing in early Spring and found they had all
germinated.
I still have them although they get MURDERED by slugs and snails every year.

SO, an unheated coldframe overwinter sounds just right.

Des