Old 09-02-2003, 08:24 PM

Default Potato chitting

Why do my 'eating' potatoes 'chit' so much faster in the fridge than my seed
potatoes kept on the windowsill?

- h

Old 09-02-2003, 09:35 PM
AST

"H" wrote in message
Why do my 'eating' potatoes 'chit' so much faster in the fridge than my

seed
potatoes kept on the windowsill?

You shouldn't store potatoes in the fridge.
They should be kept in a dark, dry and cool, not cold place.
A box, in layers with sand or peat.

or, if they are bought potatoes for use soon, keep them in, once again, in a
dark, cool dry place, loose.
don't keep in plastic bags or in too moist an environment.

--
AST
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." - Albert Einstein

Old 09-02-2003, 10:21 PM
Trevor Appleton

Why do my 'eating' potatoes 'chit' so much faster in the fridge than my

seed
potatoes kept on the windowsill?

I wont to know why all the advice (e.g. my local radio station this Sunday)
is to chit in good light at 8 C.

I tried two years on the trot to chit in a conservatory which has a radiator
that comes on twice a day for an hour each time, and there was still hardly
any shoots in May.

I now use my office windowsill at temperatures of around 16 C and I find
that perfect.

Trevor

---

Old 11-02-2003, 09:02 AM
Ken Riley

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:35:32 -0000, "AST"
wrote:

"H" wrote in message
.. .
Why do my 'eating' potatoes 'chit' so much faster in the fridge than my

seed
potatoes kept on the windowsill?

You shouldn't store potatoes in the fridge.
They should be kept in a dark, dry and cool, not cold place.
A box, in layers with sand or peat.

or, if they are bought potatoes for use soon, keep them in, once again, in a
dark, cool dry place, loose.
don't keep in plastic bags or in too moist an environment.

I keep my eating potatoes in a crockery bread bin with a lid and they
chit wonderfully well, much faster than my seed potatoes in open egg
boxes in the same room.

Joan in Bramhall (Cheshire)

Potato chitting Wally[_3_] United Kingdom 22 12-02-2010 07:20 PM
Chitting The Reid United Kingdom 3 09-04-2003 10:08 AM
Chitting potatotes - a problem? Glenda Young United Kingdom 3 22-03-2003 07:32 PM
spud chitting Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 1 24-02-2003 07:00 PM
spud chitting Anne Middleton/Harold Walker Gardening 1 24-02-2003 09:15 AM