Old 08-02-2010, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potato chitting

I am looking for ideas for chitting my potatoes.
My problem is, I don't have any spare room indoors.
last year I laid them out in my allotment shed but a lot of
them got attacked by mice, big holes chewed into them,
so I don't really want to go there again.
I have a garden shed but also got mice in there so same problem.
Has anyone got a cunning plan that might outwit these little ******** ?

Would be grateful for a solution to this dilemma.

Wally

Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
I am looking for ideas for chitting my potatoes.
My problem is, I don't have any spare room indoors.
last year I laid them out in my allotment shed but a lot of
them got attacked by mice, big holes chewed into them,
so I don't really want to go there again.
I have a garden shed but also got mice in there so same problem.
Has anyone got a cunning plan that might outwit these little ******** ?

Would be grateful for a solution to this dilemma.

Mousetraps!

Alan

Wally

Old 08-02-2010, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Wally" wrote in message
I am looking for ideas for chitting my potatoes.
My problem is, I don't have any spare room indoors.
last year I laid them out in my allotment shed but a lot of
them got attacked by mice, big holes chewed into them,
so I don't really want to go there again.
I have a garden shed but also got mice in there so same problem.
Has anyone got a cunning plan that might outwit these little ******** ?

Would be grateful for a solution to this dilemma.

Mousetraps!

Alan

Already do that Alan, getting one about every three days, there
must be hundreds of them.

Wally

Old 08-02-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
I am looking for ideas for chitting my potatoes.
My problem is, I don't have any spare room indoors.
last year I laid them out in my allotment shed but a lot of
them got attacked by mice, big holes chewed into them,
so I don't really want to go there again.
I have a garden shed but also got mice in there so same problem.
Has anyone got a cunning plan that might outwit these little ******** ?

Would be grateful for a solution to this dilemma.

Isn't it traditional to put them under the beds?

Alternatively, is your loft completely full?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in news:hkpms0$bnt$1
@news.albasani.net:

I am looking for ideas for chitting my potatoes.
My problem is, I don't have any spare room indoors.
last year I laid them out in my allotment shed but a lot of
them got attacked by mice, big holes chewed into them,
so I don't really want to go there again.
I have a garden shed but also got mice in there so same problem.
Has anyone got a cunning plan that might outwit these little ******** ?

Would be grateful for a solution to this dilemma.

Wally

UK North Lincs.
This is my third year chitting potatoes and I put them in egg cartons on
my 2 south facing window cills with great success, planting in mid March,
digging some in early June to eat and continue 'till they are gone.

I'm a bit early this year though and my Arran Pilots all have 1/4" shoots
already though Pentland Javelin are just starting to show.

It has been suggested to put the potatoes in the loft or under a bed to
chit, but I think because there is no light you will get whitish shoots
which are no good according to "experts". Depending on variety the shoots
should be green or red and in the case of Arran Pilots black/green.

You can rub off the shoots that are too early and I think that's what I
need to do this year.

I plant the main crop early April without chitting and get a heavy crop
when the earlies are used.....Sept. ish

I have just over 100 earlies chitting on my cills.
The Pentland Javelin give me a massive crop, (though a few weeks later than
most first earlies) and if left in the ground grow to a size resembling a
main crop variety.

Anyway, these are my findings from my own experience and work for me very
well indeed.

I know I have gone on a little here but I hope it has helped.

Kind regards
Part_No

Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
I am looking for ideas for chitting my potatoes.
My problem is, I don't have any spare room indoors.
last year I laid them out in my allotment shed but a lot of
them got attacked by mice, big holes chewed into them,
so I don't really want to go there again.
I have a garden shed but also got mice in there so same problem.
Has anyone got a cunning plan that might outwit these little ******** ?

Would be grateful for a solution to this dilemma.

Mousetraps!

Alan

Already do that Alan, getting one about every three days, there
must be hundreds of them.

Don't give up, in time you will have defeated them.

Alan

Wally

Old 09-02-2010, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David WE Roberts wrote:
Isn't it traditional to put them under the beds?
Alternatively, is your loft completely full?

Surely you want daylight for chitting, else you end up with long straggley
tendrils that are weak and easilly snapped when you plant!
Old 10-02-2010, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 09/02/10 11:38, Part_No wrote:
[...]

why bother chitting at all? commercial growers donut do it , i think.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
o.uk...

why bother chitting at all? commercial growers donut do it , i think.

It is the potatoes that do the chitting - not growers (:-)
If they did not chit, nobody would get any spuds (:-(

Upturned close mesh hanging baskets on shelves, would be my protection
suggestion .

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 11-02-2010, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2010-02-10 16:52:25 +0000, Ed ex@directory said:

On 09/02/10 11:38, Part_No wrote:
[...]

No chitting, no eyes, no seed potatoes.
--
Sacha- Hide quoted text -

You don't have to chitt, after all in nature the tubers stay under the
soil and will start to grow in the spring, chitting just speeds up the
growing process a bit.
David Hill

Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

why bother chitting at all? commercial growers donut do it , i think.

No chitting, no eyes, no seed potatoes.

My experience suggest that if you miss some potatoes when digging up
your crop, they grow brilliantly next season, in all the wrong places.

I was also told many years ago never to compost potatoe peelings for
exactly the same reason!

Mind you that was before the days of compost accelerators, fancy bins
and the apparent need to compost everything as quickly as possible.

I still use a two year composting cycle and would probably use a three
year cycle if I had the space.

Roger T
Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/02/2010 10:44, Dave Hill wrote:

You don't have to chitt, after all in nature the tubers stay under the
soil and will start to grow in the spring, chitting just speeds up the
growing process a bit.

I don't bother chitting. Doesn't seem to be a problem; but then I tend
to plant mine dangerously early anyway. They don't seem late to harvest.
I take the view that if volunteers can survive happily overwinter
outside in cold then why not seed potatoes. In my opinion chitting seems
to be one of those things that is of negligible benefit and more of a
gardening custom than a necessity.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
I'm always rather touched by the plucky little tomato seedlings that
come up in the gravel where tea room customers have dropped some of
their salad on the ground!

The tomatoes I sewed last month are struggling terribly. The best 2
seedlings I have are growing through the vermiculite of the orange tree that
was lodging in the greenhouse under one of the tomato plants!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
I'm always rather touched by the plucky little tomato seedlings that
come up in the gravel where tea room customers have dropped some of
their salad on the ground!

The tomatoes I sewed last month are struggling terribly. The best 2
seedlings I have are growing through the vermiculite of the orange tree
that
was lodging in the greenhouse under one of the tomato plants!

You should really think twice about using a needle on your toms (:-(

Definitely too early to have growing tomatoes on the brain anyway !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 11-02-2010, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

The tomatoes I sewed last month are struggling terribly. *The best 2
seedlings I have are growing through the vermiculite of the orange tree
that
was lodging in the greenhouse under one of the tomato plants!

You should really think twice about using a needle on your toms *(:-(

What better way to move the thread on?

Chitting The Reid United Kingdom 3 09-04-2003 10:08 AM
Chitting potatotes - a problem? Glenda Young United Kingdom 3 22-03-2003 07:32 PM
spud chitting Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 1 24-02-2003 07:00 PM
spud chitting Anne Middleton/Harold Walker Gardening 1 24-02-2003 09:15 AM
Potato chitting H United Kingdom 3 11-02-2003 09:02 AM