Old 10-05-2005, 01:34 AM
Warwick

Default Going to lose some I think

The conseratory was overcrowded with 3" pots, the greenhouse was
overcrowded in the same way. I forced some Dahlias by accident and when
they got *big*, I planted them out along with some seedlings to clear
some space to pot on some of the slower and later stuff.

Weather forecast seems to say I should be glad that I held back half of
everything planted out. Ah well, every year is different and some of it
may survive the week.

On the attempt to avoid chemicals, I'm claiming success. I've been out
with torch and trowel every night for just over a week. Rather than
disposing of the slugs and snails into a bag or a bucket, I've been
slicing them in half and giving them a bash flat. The first night I
killed 126 with the number reducing to 9 tonight. The slice and leave in
place thing has worked rather well in this last week since the damp
weather has made sure the previous night's cull have not dried out and
have attracted the attentions of more slugs. A feeding frenzy of the
cadaver of last night's kill is proving a good way to dispatch.

Warwick