Old 10-02-2003, 11:36 PM
olrac

Default best software for garden design

I have just moved into a house with a garden 100 x 40 foot with nothing in
it.

what should I do

what is the best software for designing gardens

olrac

Old 10-02-2003, 11:49 PM
PaulK

"olrac" wrote in message
I have just moved into a house with a garden 100 x 40 foot with nothing in
it.

what should I do

what is the best software for designing gardens

olrac

pencil and graph paper!

pk

ps not meant as a curt put down but as a succinct summary of past
discussions!

Old 11-02-2003, 12:24 AM
Pete The Gardener

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 23:36:42 -0000, "olrac"
wrote:

I have just moved into a house with a garden 100 x 40 foot with nothing in
it.

what should I do

what is the best software for designing gardens

You could have a look at the FAQ on such things, but the general
opinion, which I share, is that they're all pretty crap. The FAQ is
available at:- http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqsoftw.htm .
I would suggest that you are much better off with some squared paper
and a pencil, it's quicker and you can get a better idea of what
you're doing.
--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Old 11-02-2003, 06:20 AM
Alan Gould

In article , olrac
writes
I have just moved into a house with a garden 100 x 40 foot with nothing in
it.

what should I do

Have a look at the urg FAQ called 'Making a Start' at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/startingout.html

what is the best software for designing gardens

I don't know about software, but the best hardware is a fork and spade.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:50 AM
Sharon Curtis

In article ,
olrac wrote:
I have just moved into a house with a garden 100 x 40 foot with nothing in
it.

Oooo, a blank canvas! Lucky you!

what should I do

For a start, answer the questions:

* Which way does the garden face?

* Taking into account sunlight, shadows, drainage, and soil type,
what best describes conditions in different parts of the garden?
(e.g. My garden faces east, and there's a high garage to the
south, so the bit near the garage is very shady, moist but not
water logged. The other side of the garden is sunny and south-facing,
near a nice warm fence, and well drained. The sunniest area is
at the back left - so that's where the bench is.)

* What do you want to be able to do in your garden?
(Sunbathe, drool over plants, barbeque, childplay, party, what?)

* How much maintenance do you want to put in?

* Do you have any things that you've seen and would particularly
like one of in your garden?

Sharon

Old 11-02-2003, 07:14 PM
will

In article ,
olrac wrote:
I have just moved into a house with a garden 100 x 40 foot with nothing in
it.

The Bradstone garden designer at http://www.bradstone.com/ is a small,
FREE utility that might help. I've used MS Visio as well to make it
easier to move shapes around. There are plenty of dedicated, non-free
garden design programs around but I've not tried any, mainly because
none have received much praise.
Old 14-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Drakanthus

"olrac" wrote in message
I have just moved into a house with a garden 100 x 40 foot with nothing in
it.

what should I do

what is the best software for designing gardens

olrac

What the software won't give you is inspiration!
Decide what you want to use the space for, and use your mind's eye to
picture how you would like it to look when finished in as much detail as
possible.
If you plan sitting in the garden take a chair to the intended position and
look around - imagine yourself sitting in the garden when it is finished.
Where does the sun rise and set? Do you want to sit in the sun or the shade?
Will you be overlooked by neighbours and need screening in certain places.
Look around other peoples gardens, garden centres, watch gardening programs
(such as Dermot's and the new Tichmarsh series) etc - these can help give
you ideas.
When you can clearly imagine what you want, measure the plot out and sketch
out roughly with pencil and paper.
Works for me.
Don't just plunge in with bits here and there - you will end up with an
uncoordinated mess.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 14-03-2003, 10:08 AM
N. van Burgsteden

I agree with all people before. Although I have worked out the details of
the garden in a CAD environment. of course, you have to have some CAD
experience. This gives a bit more accuracy on the amounts of material you
should use (surfaces of paving etc.)

But for idea forming and inspiration, stick with the paper and your own
brain!

"Drakanthus" schreef in bericht