Old 14-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Stan The Man

Default Timber-frame builder?

I'm looking to build a 4m x 10m timber-framed (maybe oak-framed) single
storey garage with attached studio-cum-toolshed-cum-log store with a
pitched roof in my garden in Berkshire. I've looked at all the firms
which advertise such buildings and, for one reason or another, don't
have enough confidence in any of them to give them the job. Can anyone
recommend perhaps a smaller, local firm who could work to my design and
do the whole job including groundworks and tiled roof? TIA.
Old 17-05-2005, 10:38 AM
bigboard

Stan The Man wrote:

I'm looking to build a 4m x 10m timber-framed (maybe oak-framed) single
storey garage with attached studio-cum-toolshed-cum-log store with a
pitched roof in my garden in Berkshire. I've looked at all the firms
which advertise such buildings and, for one reason or another, don't
have enough confidence in any of them to give them the job. Can anyone
recommend perhaps a smaller, local firm who could work to my design and
do the whole job including groundworks and tiled roof? TIA.

http://www.ehbp.com/home.php?language=EN

This firm built my parent's garage, and did a very good job. Although my
father did the foundations himself, they will do the lot for you.

--
If you sit down at a poker game and don't see a sucker, get up. You're
the sucker.

Old 17-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Mike

Stan,

Go to your local Chamber of Commerce and see who they have as members. Not
asking them to recommend, but 'who are your members suitable for this sort
of work'

Go to your builders merchants, timber yard, brick suppliers etc and ask
there if they know anyone etc etc etc.

When I moved into this house in 1986, the back door and frame were in a very
poor state. I went into my local suppliers and chose a door. 'Can you tell
me who would install this for me?' I was shown a cork board with lots of
tradesmen's cards on it. "He is a good bloke" and one was pointed out. I
contacted him, he did the job and it was superb :-)) Shame to take it out a
couple of years ago when we hade a lot of work done and the kitchen, which
is what it was, turned into a garden room with double patio doors.

Recommendation is by far the best. Beats ALL advertsing costs :-)) and it's

Mike