Old 16-05-2005, 01:44 PM
MM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 07:30:04 +0100, Chris French and Helen Johnson
wrote:

In message , MM
writes
On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:51:53 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

[1]
I always keep a drum of water in the GH so that it warms up on hot days, the
plants in there don't appreciate cold water too much.

This isn't such great news. I didn't know about the cold water effect.

Well it only really applies to plants in the GH, although I try to do
this, I can't say I've actually noticed any difference when I've used
cold water.

The water from the hose is certainly freezing cold. However, I am
watering my new lawn mainly.

Seed or turf?

Seed. Sown about 6 - 7 weeks ago. Now coming up nicely. It has made a
tremendous difference to the look and feel of the property. Doesn't
look like a building site any more.

Note that once it's established there is no need to water a lawn. In
hotter dryers times it will probably go a bit brown, but it will come
back again once it rains.

Sod's law struck again. I watered it last night, and today the rain'ss
teeming down! Another unnecessary 16 pence to Anglian Water.

MM
Old 16-05-2005, 01:44 PM
MM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 09:54:16 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from MM contains these words:

This isn't such great news. I didn't know about the cold water effect.
The water from the hose is certainly freezing cold. However, I am
watering my new lawn mainly.

Do it at night for best effect.

Yep. It was dusk when I watered yesterday. However, today the rain's
come back!

MM
Old 16-05-2005, 01:46 PM
MM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 09:11:58 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

MM wrote:
I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons, but
that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around. How much
would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray head on a
hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

What sort of meter? A gas one? If it's an electricity meter, I wouldn't
go near it if it's wet, may be dangerous, call the electricity company.

OTOH if you mean a "metre", then just imagine it - a bit more than a
cubic yard - or a Jewson's (or someones') aggregates delivery bag full.

You know, the BBC is looking out for talent like yours! They're
desperate for new, alternative comedy.

MM
Old 16-05-2005, 01:47 PM
MM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 11:39:53 +0100, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons, but
that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around. How much
would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray head on a
hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

MM

At the risk of sounding smart, I can tell you how much that would weigh.
Sadly, this is a useless thing to know if you do not have a mental benchmark
for the given units, but one of teh joys of the metric system is that the
quantity you specified should weight a metric tonne (allowing for variations
in athmospheric pressure, distance from the centre of the universe, purity
of the water etc.). How heavy is a tonne you might ask? ehhhhh loads.

Don't you think 'tonne' looks stupid with 'ne' tagged on the ende?

MM
Old 16-05-2005, 02:01 PM

MM wrote:

Don't you think 'tonne' looks stupid with 'ne' tagged on the ende?

No, it tells me that it is 1000kg as opposed to 2240lbs, a useful (if
quite small) distinction.

--
Chris Green

Old 16-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Chris Bacon

MM wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
MM wrote:
I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons, but
that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around. How much
would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray head on a
hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

What sort of meter? A gas one? If it's an electricity meter, I wouldn't
go near it if it's wet, may be dangerous, call the electricity company.

OTOH if you mean a "metre", then just imagine it - a bit more than a
cubic yard - or a Jewson's (or someones') aggregates delivery bag full.

You know, the BBC is looking out for talent like yours! They're
desperate for new, alternative comedy.

Tank you welly mulch.
Old 16-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from MM contains these words:

Don't you think 'tonne' looks stupid with 'ne' tagged on the ende?

ITYM 'endde'

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 16-05-2005, 06:27 PM
MM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 14:51:39 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from MM contains these words:

Don't you think 'tonne' looks stupid with 'ne' tagged on the ende?

ITYM 'endde'

I just wanted to get you thinking. And you did!

MM

Calculating Surface Area/Cubic Feet/Number of Gallons JB[_1_] Ponds 0 28-07-2007 10:16 PM
Recommendation for irrigation system installation and second water meter John F North Carolina 6 13-11-2003 01:14 PM
Recommendation for irrigation system installation and second water meter John F North Carolina 6 02-11-2003 06:23 PM
Cubic foot??????????? RUKind Lawns 5 04-07-2003 08:56 PM
Yo Lee. Name of Water Meter? Nedra Ponds 10 30-06-2003 10:44 PM