Old 15-05-2005, 04:34 PM
MM

Default How much water in a cubic meter?

I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons, but
that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around. How much
would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray head on a
hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

MM
Old 15-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Mike Lyle

MM wrote:
I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons,

but
that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around. How

much
would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray head on a
hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

I wouldn't water my garden that way, and I don't know what the flow
rate is for a typical domestic supply: mine seems to be about six
gallons a minute, which would mean 120 gallons in 20 minutes without
a spray head to slow it down.

The wonderful Google window I've only recently found out about
converts 20 m^3 to 4,399.38315 Imperial gallons. At two gallons per
shrub, 1 m^3 or 219 gal does, of course, about a hundred shrubs.

--
Mike.

Old 15-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , MM
writes
I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons, but
that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around. How much
would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray head on a
hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

MM

A cubic meter spread over 75 square meters corresponds to a depth of
1/75th of a meter or 4/3 cm, which is about half an inch. Equal to one
torrential thunderstorm, or a day's solid rain.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 15-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Andy Pandy

On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:34:09 +0100, MM wrote:

I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons, but
that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around. How much
would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray head on a
hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

MM

As you say 1 m3 is roughly 220 UK gallons or 110 x 2 gallon
watering cans.

I would use the spray head to fill a watering can 11 times and
multiply the resultant time by ten giving an approximate time for
spraying 1 m3

HTH

Andy

Old 15-05-2005, 07:06 PM
MM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:21:50 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

MM wrote:
I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons,

but
that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around. How

much
would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray head on a
hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

I wouldn't water my garden that way,

Why not? It's too laborious with the watering can, even if I do have a
nice galvanised one and not a horrid plasticky one.

MM

Old 15-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

MM wrote:
I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons,
but that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around.

How
much would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray

head
on a hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

I wouldn't water my garden that way,

Why not? It's too laborious with the watering can, even if I do

have a
nice galvanised one and not a horrid plasticky one.

Well, I've never gardened over there in the dry east, so you may need
to apply more than a grain of salt to my remarks, which may be plain
rubbish in your situation. But (as I think I've said before on urg) I
don't much hold with watering plants in the open ground at all, once
they're established. So, apart from obvious things like lettuce, or
hydrangeas (which I've never grown), which have to be kept going all
the time, only sensitive characters get a drink from me in dry
spells. I believe in watering these individually to make sure they
get enough to get to the roots. A twenty-minute spray job, even over
quite a small area, may not be much of a help -- but of course it
depends on what you're growing.

--
Mike.

Old 15-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Phil L

MM wrote:
:: I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons,
:: but that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around.

Visualise six 40 gallon drums, five of them full to the top and the last one
half full, together they are 1 cubic metre of water.

:: How much would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray
:: head on a hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

depending on water pressure etc, approximately 40 gallons, I know this
because today I filled a 40 gallon drum in the greenhouse[1] with the
hosepipe and it took about 20 - 25 mins.

[1]
I always keep a drum of water in the GH so that it warms up on hot days, the
plants in there don't appreciate cold water too much.
--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 15-05-2005, 09:56 PM
MM

wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

I believe the problem I was having with my Goldcrests was wind scorch.
Since I have been spraying them every now and again (if it hasn't
rained) the brown bits have largely disappeared.

MM
Old 15-05-2005, 09:57 PM
MM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:36:03 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In article , MM
writes
I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons, but
that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around. How much
would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray head on a
hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

MM

A cubic meter spread over 75 square meters corresponds to a depth of
1/75th of a meter or 4/3 cm, which is about half an inch. Equal to one
torrential thunderstorm, or a day's solid rain.

Ah, now THAT I can imagine! Great stuff. I can afford to use water
again.

MM
Old 16-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from MM contains these words:

I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons, but
that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around. How much
would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray head on a
hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

10 normal-sized water-butts.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 16-05-2005, 01:41 AM
MM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:51:53 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

MM wrote:
:: I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons,
:: but that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around.

Visualise six 40 gallon drums, five of them full to the top and the last one
half full, together they are 1 cubic metre of water.

Hey, now we're really cooking on gas! My mind picture is working
overtime, as I know exactly how big a 40 gallon drum is.

:: How much would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray
:: head on a hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

depending on water pressure etc, approximately 40 gallons, I know this
because today I filled a 40 gallon drum in the greenhouse[1] with the
hosepipe and it took about 20 - 25 mins.

Excellent! So it will be costing me around 16 pence per watering. Not
as dear as I thought. This is great news.

[1]
I always keep a drum of water in the GH so that it warms up on hot days, the
plants in there don't appreciate cold water too much.

This isn't such great news. I didn't know about the cold water effect.
The water from the hose is certainly freezing cold. However, I am
watering my new lawn mainly.

MM
Old 16-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , MM
writes
wrote:

[1]
I always keep a drum of water in the GH so that it warms up on hot days, the
plants in there don't appreciate cold water too much.

This isn't such great news. I didn't know about the cold water effect.

Well it only really applies to plants in the GH, although I try to do
this, I can't say I've actually noticed any difference when I've used
cold water.

The water from the hose is certainly freezing cold. However, I am
watering my new lawn mainly.

Seed or turf?

Note that once it's established there is no need to water a lawn. In
hotter dryers times it will probably go a bit brown, but it will come
back again once it rains.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson,
Old 16-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Chris Bacon

MM wrote:
I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons, but
that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around. How much
would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray head on a
hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

What sort of meter? A gas one? If it's an electricity meter, I wouldn't
go near it if it's wet, may be dangerous, call the electricity company.

OTOH if you mean a "metre", then just imagine it - a bit more than a
cubic yard - or a Jewson's (or someones') aggregates delivery bag full.
Old 16-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from MM contains these words:

This isn't such great news. I didn't know about the cold water effect.
The water from the hose is certainly freezing cold. However, I am
watering my new lawn mainly.

Do it at night for best effect.

Old 16-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Des Higgins

"MM" wrote in message
I can't visualise the quantity. Is it a lot? It's 219 UK gallons, but
that is still a quantity I can't really get my head around. How much
would I use watering the garden? 20 minutes with a spray head on a
hose over approx 75 square meters, that is.

MM

At the risk of sounding smart, I can tell you how much that would weigh.
Sadly, this is a useless thing to know if you do not have a mental benchmark
for the given units, but one of teh joys of the metric system is that the
quantity you specified should weight a metric tonne (allowing for variations
in athmospheric pressure, distance from the centre of the universe, purity
of the water etc.). How heavy is a tonne you might ask? ehhhhh loads.

Des

Calculating Surface Area/Cubic Feet/Number of Gallons JB[_1_] Ponds 0 28-07-2007 10:16 PM
Recommendation for irrigation system installation and second water meter John F North Carolina 6 13-11-2003 01:14 PM
Recommendation for irrigation system installation and second water meter John F North Carolina 6 02-11-2003 06:23 PM
Cubic foot??????????? RUKind Lawns 5 04-07-2003 08:56 PM
Yo Lee. Name of Water Meter? Nedra Ponds 10 30-06-2003 10:44 PM