Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Making holes - more advice

Janet's Metpost thread reminded me that I really need to put a couple of
gateposts in myself. Thought I'd start a new thread for it rather than
hijacking hers.

My soil is even more stony than Janet's (or I suspect, anyone's!) and I am
fairly sure that the bottom of the hole actually needs to be below the
point where the gravel starts to join up into large chunks and may even
count as bedrock. The stone is cacky splintery stuff, but no way can you
get a spade in more than one spade's depth, and that is horrible enough.

Is my only option to hire a pneumatic drill? Can they be operated by
normal people or do I need to hire a man wearing earmuffs too?

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall