Old 20-05-2005, 09:40 PM
John Smith

Default Potatoes question

Wrong place to ask I know ...but...
Yesterday I noticed a field of potatoes with the crop just emerging. However
unlike the traditional one row of potato plants per mound there were three
rows per wide mound.
Is this a new method ? What's the advantages?
Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

Old 21-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Dwayne

Might have been a space saving idea. Walkways between each row of plants
uses up a lot of gardening space.

Dwayne

Old 21-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Dwayne jenco@st-
tel.net writes
Might have been a space saving idea. Walkways between each row of plants
uses up a lot of gardening space.

But how would you get to the plants to earth them up and to weed them?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 21-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Alan Holmes

"John Smith" wrote in message
Wrong place to ask I know ...but...
Yesterday I noticed a field of potatoes with the crop just emerging.
However
unlike the traditional one row of potato plants per mound there were three
rows per wide mound.

I've got four rows per mound, so there!

Is this a new method ? What's the advantages?

I only did it to try to conserve space, but I won't be doing it again, it's
bit of a pain trying to earth up as they grow on.

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

Old 23-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Tim Challenger

On Fri, 20 May 2005 21:40:57 +0100, John Smith wrote:

Wrong place to ask I know ...but...
Yesterday I noticed a field of potatoes with the crop just emerging. However
unlike the traditional one row of potato plants per mound there were three
rows per wide mound.
Is this a new method ? What's the advantages?
Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

So the harvesting machine can be more efficient?
It can do four rows at once and only has to cross the field a quarter of
the times it normally would.

--
Tim C.

Old 23-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Jupiter

On Mon, 23 May 2005 11:00:19 +0200, martin wrote:

On Mon, 23 May 2005 09:54:46 +0200, Tim Challenger
wrote:

On Fri, 20 May 2005 21:40:57 +0100, John Smith wrote:

Wrong place to ask I know ...but...
Yesterday I noticed a field of potatoes with the crop just emerging. However
unlike the traditional one row of potato plants per mound there were three
rows per wide mound.
Is this a new method ? What's the advantages?
Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

So the harvesting machine can be more efficient?
It can do four rows at once and only has to cross the field a quarter of
the times it normally would.

Machines replaced the annual potato picking school holiday of my
childhood and the child labour that was employed to do the job.

Sixpence a sack and a ride on the back of the tractor avoiding the PTO
shaft!

Old 23-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Jupiter

On Mon, 23 May 2005 21:22:15 +0200, martin wrote:

wrote:

On Fri, 20 May 2005 21:40:57 +0100, John Smith wrote:

Wrong place to ask I know ...but...
Yesterday I noticed a field of potatoes with the crop just emerging. However
unlike the traditional one row of potato plants per mound there were three
rows per wide mound.
Is this a new method ? What's the advantages?
Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

So the harvesting machine can be more efficient?
It can do four rows at once and only has to cross the field a quarter of
the times it normally would.

Machines replaced the annual potato picking school holiday of my
childhood and the child labour that was employed to do the job.

Sixpence a sack and a ride on the back of the tractor avoiding the PTO
shaft!

... and then home to the shoe box in the gutter.

What???? You had a shoebox? Plutocrat!