Old 24-05-2005, 07:46 AM
Cire

Default Pruning Taxus Baccata

Has anyone tried pruning a Taxus Baccata 'Fastigiata Aurea' (golden Irish
yew)?

I have two of these very noble plants, one each side of my pond. I am sure
that they both came from the same original source, about ten years ago, and
they are both about 6ft high, but one is narrow and elegant while the other
is twice as wide, fat, and obese! (This one is probably true to form,
according to the text books.)

The fat one has very many more vertical branches, as you might suspect, and
I would have thought that a lot of them could be successfully removed
without harming the plant. Has anyone any experience of this?

Eric

Old 24-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 24 May 2005 07:46:57 +0100, "Cire"
wrote:

Has anyone tried pruning a Taxus Baccata 'Fastigiata Aurea' (golden Irish
yew)?

I have two of these very noble plants, one each side of my pond. I am sure
that they both came from the same original source, about ten years ago, and
they are both about 6ft high, but one is narrow and elegant while the other
is twice as wide, fat, and obese! (This one is probably true to form,
according to the text books.)

The fat one has very many more vertical branches, as you might suspect, and
I would have thought that a lot of them could be successfully removed
without harming the plant. Has anyone any experience of this?

Eric

Yes, I have one and a few years ago decided it was getting too wide
and casting too much shade.
I cut down the main part of the tree, leaving one shoot coming from
the base, about a foot tall. The stump is hidden by other growth and
I now have a slim pillar about 7feet tall.

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Cire

Many thanks, Pam. That sounds very encouraging. I don't want to go quite
that far, but will definitely give it a go!

Eric

Old 28-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Padger

"Cire" wrote in message
Has anyone tried pruning a Taxus Baccata 'Fastigiata Aurea' (golden Irish
yew)?

I have pruned that with a hedgetrimmer with no adverse effects. I find that
some shrubs/trees withstand pruning at the (wrong) tme and are fine. I try
to prune as appropriate but on occasion have had to go against all the
recommendations but no problems so far. Just remember, in gardening there
are no guarantees.