Old 26-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Lynda Thornton

Default Plant ID Please

Hi

I have a large plant in the garden that I can't identify - it has a lot
of silver/white woolly stems and leaves with globe-like woolly
flowerheads about 1-1.5 in large that are just opening to clusters of
yellow flowers. It seems to be a hardy evergreen and kept its leaves
and colour over winter. Some of the flowerheads have more leaves
growing out of the top of them. It is growing in a woodland style
garden and the soil is fairly acid, if that makes any difference.

It is not exactly beautiful but is fairly eyecatching as the stalks are
approaching 3ft high and there is a large clump of them. It is one of
those things that seems vaguely familiar but I just can't recall the
name!

Any ideas anyone?
Lynda

Old 26-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 26 May 2005 10:16:09 +0000 (UTC), Lynda Thornton
wrote:

Hi

I have a large plant in the garden that I can't identify - it has a lot
of silver/white woolly stems and leaves with globe-like woolly
flowerheads about 1-1.5 in large that are just opening to clusters of
yellow flowers. It seems to be a hardy evergreen and kept its leaves
and colour over winter. Some of the flowerheads have more leaves
growing out of the top of them. It is growing in a woodland style
garden and the soil is fairly acid, if that makes any difference.

It is not exactly beautiful but is fairly eyecatching as the stalks are
approaching 3ft high and there is a large clump of them. It is one of
those things that seems vaguely familiar but I just can't recall the
name!

Any ideas anyone?
Lynda

Could it be mullein?
See http://tinyurl.com/bxof6

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Lynda Thornton contains these words:

Hi

I have a large plant in the garden that I can't identify - it has a lot
of silver/white woolly stems and leaves with globe-like woolly
flowerheads about 1-1.5 in large that are just opening to clusters of
yellow flowers. It seems to be a hardy evergreen and kept its leaves
and colour over winter. Some of the flowerheads have more leaves
growing out of the top of them. It is growing in a woodland style
garden and the soil is fairly acid, if that makes any difference.

It is not exactly beautiful but is fairly eyecatching as the stalks are
approaching 3ft high and there is a large clump of them. It is one of
those things that seems vaguely familiar but I just can't recall the
name!

Phlomis? White/grey/silver woolly plants usually do best in sunny dry
spots rather than the shade of woodland, btw.

Janet

Hi Janet

Many thanks, I think you're right with phlomis - I looked it up on
Google images. The plant in question is very large and has obviously
been there for years, it's currently tucked up quite close to a large
broom but getting enough light as the broom isn't shading it. We have a
woodland type garden with large rhododendrons, azaleas, conifers, holly
and beech hedging and lots of mature trees in the general area but the
garden isn't that dark and gloomy and this plant is in the back, which
faces south and gets plenty of sun.

Glad it's been found, not that I particularly like it, but I just wanted
to know! Does anyone know whether it's a good plant for butterflies by
the way?

Thanks again
Lynda
Old 26-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Brian

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
[...]

~~~~~~~~~
Yes~ butterflies and bees visit for the readily available nectar.
Google " phlomis butterflies"
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 27-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Charlie Pridham

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a Phlomis russeliana, nice leaves (nothing eats them!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk