Old 29-05-2005, 08:37 AM
spakker

Default cheap fatsias East yorks.

At the sunday market at North cave a stall was selling 4 foot tall fatsia
japonicas -3 for a tenner-they had trolley loads.

Old 29-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 29 May 2005 08:37:27 +0100, "spakker"
wrote:

At the sunday market at North cave a stall was selling 4 foot tall fatsia
japonicas -3 for a tenner-they had trolley loads.

I bought a pot of young plants for £2.99 in my local supermarket
(Somerfield). I have split them up and got, if they all survive, 11
plants.

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-05-2005, 08:18 PM
spakker

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
japonicas -3 for a tenner-they had trolley loads.

Yebbut.....fatsia japonica grows into a BIG hardy shrub with
evergreen leaves the size of a dinner plate. Nothing much survives
underneath one. What sort of garden can accommodate 11 of them? (or 3,
Janet

I have a yard in which the kitchen window looks out onto a two story-35 ft.
long brick wall -boundry is east-west with me on the north side-then we have
50 yds. garden with 6 ft.lap fencing- even the lawn won't grow-but the
fatsias thrive-I've got 9 in dustbin sized pots and its great to have the
tropical look in our back-yard. You can cut them down-but I don't know if I
ever will bring myself to do it.

Old 29-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 29 May 2005 19:58:56 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Yebbut.....fatsia japonica grows into a BIG hardy shrub with
evergreen leaves the size of a dinner plate. Nothing much survives
underneath one. What sort of garden can accommodate 11 of them? (or 3,
come to that)

I've only got room for one, or maybe one in and one out, but I'm sure
the rest will find good homes! I saw one at least 10ft tall in London
last week, growing up over a high wall. By the time I've planted my
one fatsia and my fig, there'll be no room for me in my garden!

Pam in Bristol
Old 30-05-2005, 05:32 PM
spakker

"Pam wrote:

Yebbut.....fatsia japonica grows into a BIG hardy shrub with
evergreen leaves the size of a dinner plate. Nothing much survives
underneath one. What sort of garden can accommodate 11 of them? (or 3,
come to that)

Instant jungle -some of the larger leaves on my older plants (3 yrs ) are 23
inches tip to tip, and hopefully still growing!

Old 31-05-2005, 07:04 PM
spakker

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "spakker" contains these words:

"Pam wrote:

hm, no she didn't :-)

I'm Janet. That's Pammy over there by the ducks --------------------

Sorry -just a bit of indiscriminate snipping