Old 29-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Janet Tweedy

Default id strange plant

Two plants have just surfaced in my brother's garden in Brighton. They
seem to have germinated in recently laid gravel.

I feel I ought to know them as they have a distinctive bud shape,
reminiscent of okra.

Can you identify please? Web page is

http://www.lancedal.net/aga/strangeplant.htm

Plant is flowering now.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 29-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Two plants have just surfaced in my brother's garden in Brighton. They
seem to have germinated in recently laid gravel.

I feel I ought to know them as they have a distinctive bud shape,
reminiscent of okra.

Can you identify please? Web page is

http://www.lancedal.net/aga/strangeplant.htm

Plant is flowering now.

Janet

I'd make it Salsify, Tragopogon porrifolius. I haven't seen the plant in
life, but it shows an obvious relationship to Goatsbeard, Tragopogon
pratensis., Nowt to do with Okra.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info
Old 29-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Two plants have just surfaced in my brother's garden in Brighton. They
seem to have germinated in recently laid gravel.

I feel I ought to know them as they have a distinctive bud shape,
reminiscent of okra.

Can you identify please? Web page is

http://www.lancedal.net/aga/strangeplant.htm

Plant is flowering now.

Janet

I'd make it Salsify, Tragopogon porrifolius. I haven't seen the plant
in life, but it shows an obvious relationship to Goatsbeard, Tragopogon
pratensis., Nowt to do with Okra.

Thanks Stewart. I knew it wasn't okra I just meant that the bud shape
reminded me of the plant
However looking at some of the images it certainly looks the same.

I'll pass on the information to my brother.

Janet
Old 30-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Des Higgins

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Two plants have just surfaced in my brother's garden in Brighton. They
seem to have germinated in recently laid gravel.

I feel I ought to know them as they have a distinctive bud shape,
reminiscent of okra.

Can you identify please? Web page is

http://www.lancedal.net/aga/strangeplant.htm

Plant is flowering now.

Janet

I'd make it Salsify, Tragopogon porrifolius. I haven't seen the plant in
life, but it shows an obvious relationship to Goatsbeard, Tragopogon
pratensis., Nowt to do with Okra.

Well guessed. I have never seen porrifolius but a quick google says you are
right.
Pratensis has yellow flowers but the buds have the same odd shape.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info

Strange plant problem richardg Edible Gardening 9 01-06-2011 08:20 PM
A strange sight at Home Depot...nothing strange at all about their practice! Roy Gardening 3 01-04-2004 07:41 AM
Strange looking ... plant? Gardening 6 22-05-2003 09:56 PM
Can anyone recommend a good plant to use in rather strange circumstances [email protected] United Kingdom 5 29-03-2003 04:56 AM
Strange plant ID ??? Martin Brown United Kingdom 0 01-11-2002 11:03 AM