Old 26-03-2003, 08:08 PM

Default Can anyone recommend a good plant to use in rather strange circumstances

Hi,
Abit of background..I have a gas pipe going up my outside wall to a
flue. the outside wall that its facing just has the drive, NO SOIL.

I'd like to try and hide the pipe so whatever plant we use will need
to live in a pot.

The flue is about 15 feet up and I've been told that it needs to stay
clear to allow the vapours from the boiler to escape. So the plant
should only grow to 15 ft ist...

Has anyone got any recommendations. Its quite a wide drive so I should
be able to use a big pot.

p.s. It does get hot on the drive in the summer so any recommendations
on an automated watering device would be appreciated as I dont want it
to die in the summer.

I have seen the hozelock type irrigation systems in B&Q but they are a
bit out of my budget at the moment.

p.s. Has anyone ever tried making their own irrigation system similar
to the hozelock ones?

I have another watering question but will post that one seperatly as
its for the greenhouse.

Thanks for your help.

Old 26-03-2003, 08:56 PM
hayley

Abit of background..I have a gas pipe going up my outside wall to a
flue. the outside wall that its facing just has the drive, NO SOIL.

I'd like to try and hide the pipe so whatever plant we use will need
to live in a pot.

The flue is about 15 feet up and I've been told that it needs to stay
clear to allow the vapours from the boiler to escape. So the plant
should only grow to 15 ft ist...

Has anyone got any recommendations. Its quite a wide drive so I should
be able to use a big pot.

how about some kind of small tree which will not cling, just grow up, so
will not cover the flue (e.g. one of those really thin conifers)?
Hayley

Old 27-03-2003, 08:08 PM

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:46:25 -0000, "hayley"
wrote:
Nice idea hayley although I was hoping for a bit more colour, possibly
flowers at a certain time of the year.
p.s. Do conifers grow ok in post?

Old 27-03-2003, 08:32 PM
hayley

Nice idea hayley although I was hoping for a bit more colour, possibly
flowers at a certain time of the year.

what about a columnar golden yew - that would have berries.
Hayley

Old 28-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Chris Stewart

wrote in message
[...]

What about a weeping black bamboo??

Chris

Old 29-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Natalie

What about a weeping black bamboo??

Chris

I've never seen a weeping black bamboo Chris. They've always seemed quite
happy to me ;-)

Although the suggestion of a bamboo in a large container is a good one!

Natalie