Old 24-02-2003, 10:08 AM

Default growing potato in containers?

I am about to plant up a couple of potato barrels with earlies. What compost
mix should I use in them? Any recommendations?

Best,

- h

Old 24-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Alan Gould

In article , H
writes
I am about to plant up a couple of potato barrels with earlies. What compost
mix should I use in them? Any recommendations?

Good ordinary garden soil which has not grown any of the solanum family
recently, or general purpose commercial growing compost - organic for
preference in both cases.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 14-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Alan Holmes

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , H
writes
I am about to plant up a couple of potato barrels with earlies. What

compost
mix should I use in them? Any recommendations?

Good ordinary garden soil which has not grown any of the solanum family
recently, or general purpose commercial growing compost - organic for
preference in both cases.

What is the solanum family?

Alan

Old 15-03-2003, 05:57 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Alan Holmes
writes
What is the solanum family?

It is a group of plants comprising the Solanaceae. It includes potato,
tomato, aubergine, pepper, chilli, cape gooseberry and a range of
decorative plants, mostly containing toxins such as nightshades, ground
cherry etc. Repeated growing of solanum food plants in the same soil or
with the same equipment will lead to outbreaks of blights.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 16-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , H
writes
I am about to plant up a couple of potato barrels with earlies. What

compost
mix should I use in them? Any recommendations?

Good ordinary garden soil which has not grown any of the solanum family
recently, or general purpose commercial growing compost - organic for
preference in both cases.

What is the solanum family?

It's the family of plants which includes the genus Solanum and other
closely related genera - in English, the Solanum genus includes potato,
aubergine, woody and deadly nightshade, and plants in related genera
include tomato, peppers, thorn apple, Datura
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

Old 16-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Alan Holmes

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Alan Holmes
writes
What is the solanum family?

It is a group of plants comprising the Solanaceae. It includes potato,
tomato, aubergine, pepper, chilli, cape gooseberry and a range of
decorative plants, mostly containing toxins such as nightshades, ground
cherry etc. Repeated growing of solanum food plants in the same soil or
with the same equipment will lead to outbreaks of blights.

Thanks, will bear this in mind when I next plan the layout for this years
veg.

Alan