Old 31-05-2005, 10:59 AM
RichardS

Default Moving a clematis

We've got an established and quite happy clematis that's growing against a
fence.

I don't know it's name, but it's a large-flowered summer blooming type
(Group 2??), and was cut back hard earlier this year - growth has come back
with vigour in the last month.

Anyway, this fence is likely to be replaced with a wall this summer, and
we'd ideally like to move it to grow up the opposite fence (newly replaced)
to a spot where we can actually see it (the original spot is shrouded from
view by 3 well established hibiscus trees).

Am I likely to be able to achieve this move successfully, or is a touch and
go affair, the wrong time of year, etc etc? If it is possible, what's the
kindest way to go about it?

I've read in another thread that this might be the right time of year to
take some cuttings from it, so if this is the case I would probably back up
any move with a couple of cuttings, just in case... (and if the move does
work, then I might end up with a couple of them, so it seems like a good
plan in any case).

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at