Old 06-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Sue Begg

Default Brodick plant ID please Janet

Don't know if you can help, but I saw a shrub in the grounds of Brodick
this weekend. I was pushed for time and so couldn't ask and didn't have
my camera, but I will give as good a description as I can.
It was in a shrubbery with various scented rhododendrons. Leaves like a
small azalea/rhodi leaf. Flowers single headed, bright darkish red
looking like a large fuschia bud. I couldn't see any flowers open, they
all had this fat bud like appearance. Sorry it's not much to go on, but
it was a very unusual plant and I would be grateful if you recognise the
one I am referring to
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply
Old 07-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sue Begg" wrote in message
Don't know if you can help, but I saw a shrub in the grounds of Brodick
this weekend. I was pushed for time and so couldn't ask and didn't have
my camera, but I will give as good a description as I can.
It was in a shrubbery with various scented rhododendrons. Leaves like a
small azalea/rhodi leaf. Flowers single headed, bright darkish red
looking like a large fuschia bud. I couldn't see any flowers open, they
all had this fat bud like appearance. Sorry it's not much to go on, but
it was a very unusual plant and I would be grateful if you recognise the
one I am referring to
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply

Sounds like Crinodenrum

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 07-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Sue Begg

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Sue Begg contains these words:

Don't know if you can help, but I saw a shrub in the grounds of Brodick
this weekend. I was pushed for time and so couldn't ask and didn't have
my camera, but I will give as good a description as I can.
It was in a shrubbery with various scented rhododendrons. Leaves like a
small azalea/rhodi leaf. Flowers single headed, bright darkish red
looking like a large fuschia bud. I couldn't see any flowers open, they
all had this fat bud like appearance. Sorry it's not much to go on, but
it was a very unusual plant and I would be grateful if you recognise the
one I am referring to

Crinodendron hookerianum? They are in full flower atm, gorgeous
things, the flowers look like dangling crimson Chinese lanterns against
dark narrow evergreen foliage. It's a native of Chile, requires lime
free soil and a fairly mild climate.

You can check by putting the name into google and click the image tab.

If not, let me know and I'll think again.

Janet.

That's the one Thanks.
It is great but I don't think winter temps that often get down to -17
could be classed as mild. I shall have to miss out on that one. What a
shame. I shall just have to time my visits so that I can see them again
next year.
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply