Old 10-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Pam Moore

Default agapanthus

I have several pots of agapanthus.
In one of my pots the leaves are coming up faintly striped, which they
have not been before. Does this indicate a virus? If so what will
happen and what should I do?
TIA

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Emrys Davies

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
news
I have several pots of agapanthus.
In one of my pots the leaves are coming up faintly striped, which they
have not been before. Does this indicate a virus? If so what will
happen and what should I do?
TIA

Pam in Bristol

The symptoms described on this site are somewhat different to yours, but
it may be of some help to you.
http://tinyurl.com/8vpoc

I note that some agapanthus have striped leaves.
http://tinyurl.com/c7rd9

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:41:25 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
news
I have several pots of agapanthus.
In one of my pots the leaves are coming up faintly striped, which they
have not been before. Does this indicate a virus? If so what will
happen and what should I do?
TIA

Pam in Bristol

The symptoms described on this site are somewhat different to yours, but
it may be of some help to you.
http://tinyurl.com/8vpoc

I note that some agapanthus have striped leaves.
http://tinyurl.com/c7rd9

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Thanks Emrys, BUT, I have had these agapanthus for some years and they
have always been plain green until now. They do not look sicky,
either. Just faint stripes of paler green.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:40:00 +0100, Dave Poole
wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:

Thanks Emrys, BUT, I have had these agapanthus for some years and they
have always been plain green until now. They do not look sicky,
either. Just faint stripes of paler green.

Pam, it has been a lot cooler for much later in the year so far and a
lot of exotics exhibit 'cold-induced chlorosis' under such conditions.
It normally occurs when they start growing earlier than normal due to
unseasonal warm weather and then temperatures take a tumble. Plants
naturally hardy to a typically British or northern European climate do
no suffer, but those which are used to more mediterranean or
continental climates can develop yellowing patches or stripes to the
leaves. I've got a large, self-sown Fuchsia boliviana showing leaves
that are almost pure white, with just a tiny splash of green in the
centre, but this is an extreme example. You'll be glad to hear that
once summer gets under way properly, the leaves will green up and the
striping will disappear.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.

Thanks for that explanation Dave. It is much less alarming than a
virus! I'll watch with interest. It is only one of several pots of
agapanthus which is affected, and one which is OK was brought home
from Madeira. Time will tell!
Growing season: March - November

Pam in Bristol

Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Ruth Australia 11 22-01-2011 11:28 AM
Agapanthus Rob Webb Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Agapanthus Loosecannon Australia 1 28-03-2003 08:20 PM
Agapanthus tangle John United Kingdom 2 08-03-2003 06:22 PM
Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:11 AM