Old 21-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Malcolm Murdoch

Default Herbs???

Hello all
I have just planted a mix of herbs in a small bed in my
front green, this consisted of Rosemary & Time.
the reason I am here is my friend at work told me that I
need to cover or protect my Rosemary for slugs.
Can anyone enlighten me here.

Yours Big Mal Scotland .....

Old 21-06-2005, 10:28 AM

Rubbish. Slugs dont like rosemary.
Herbs generally are too strong flavoured for slugs. I did have one red
flowered lavender get devoured by slugs but i doubt they would ever
bother a robust ordinary type of lavender. Or thyme.

Old 21-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Victoria Clare

"Malcolm Murdoch" wrote in news:5%Qte.43276
:

Hello all
I have just planted a mix of herbs in a small bed in my
front green, this consisted of Rosemary & Time.
the reason I am here is my friend at work told me that I
need to cover or protect my Rosemary for slugs.
Can anyone enlighten me here.

Are you sure your friend meant the Rosemary, and not the thyme?

I have also never had a problem with rosemary and slugs, but I have had
thyme munched by them before now. I find that a mulch of lots of gravel
and a really bright sunny position is needed, as my garden is very wet and
there is a bit of a slug problem!

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 21-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Kay

In article , Malcolm
Murdoch writes
Hello all
I have just planted a mix of herbs in a small bed in my
front green, this consisted of Rosemary & Time.
the reason I am here is my friend at work told me that I
need to cover or protect my Rosemary for slugs.
Can anyone enlighten me here.

I don't know about small rosemary plants -while they're still very young
and soft they may be vulnerable - but once they are large and shrubby
slugs don't damage them. Same goes for thyme - it might be vulnerable
when small. Keep an eye on them, and take action if the plants seem to
be shrinking rather than growing!
--
Kay

Herbs and Roses [email protected] Gardening 13 17-04-2009 05:35 PM
Ecoaromuz organic herbs and essential oils Lluisa Plant Biology 0 19-03-2003 08:56 PM
Greenhouse for herbs? JoAnna Edible Gardening 3 09-02-2003 03:37 PM
Greenhouse for herbs? JoAnna Gardening 3 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
herbs in winter Andy Spragg United Kingdom 1 28-09-2002 09:26 AM