Old 03-04-2009, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Herbs and Roses

Is there any reason not to plant herbs between roses? It would be
convenient, since the Rose path is right outside the kitchen door.

I have checked several "complementary" sites and none of them seem to
object,
but wanted to get this NGs reaction.

Herbs a Sage, Basil, Parsley, Oregano.

Note that an old Rosemary bush has been in the Rose path for years w/o
any
perceptible problems.

(I do hope the new "from" address will placate my critics.)

Persephone

Old 04-04-2009, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/3/2009 12:20 PM, wrote:
Is there any reason not to plant herbs between roses? It would be
convenient, since the Rose path is right outside the kitchen door.

I have checked several "complementary" sites and none of them seem to
object,
but wanted to get this NGs reaction.

Herbs a Sage, Basil, Parsley, Oregano.

Note that an old Rosemary bush has been in the Rose path for years w/o
any
perceptible problems.

(I do hope the new "from" address will placate my critics.)

Persephone

Be careful with oregano. It can be as invasive as mint. Grow it in a
12" flower pot instead of in the ground.

Basil is an annual, and parsley is a biennial. Both have to be replanted.

Basil and sage attract snails, enough so that the herbs can be
destroyed. I plant mine in flower pots with copper wire wound three
times around just under the pot's rim. None of my other herbs seem to
have this problem.

Perennial herbs in my garden include peppermint (Mentha piperita),
tarragon (Artemisia dracunculus), golden thyme (Thymus vulgaris
'Aureus', currently in bloom), sage (Salvia officinalis), oregano
(Origanum vulgare), and bay (Laurus nobilis). When the weather permits,
there are also such annual herbs as basil (Ocimum basilicum) and dill
(Anethum graveolens). All of these are growing in 12" flower pots in my
back yard.

In font, I have a rosemary bush (Rosmarinus officinalis) in the ground.
It's about 30 years old. It's taller than I am and is currently in
bloom. It has beautiful branches, all twisted and gnarled; I prune it
to expose those branches.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 04-04-2009, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
wrote:

Is there any reason not to plant herbs between roses? It would be
convenient, since the Rose path is right outside the kitchen door.

I have checked several "complementary" sites and none of them seem to
object,
but wanted to get this NGs reaction.

Herbs a Sage, Basil, Parsley, Oregano.

Note that an old Rosemary bush has been in the Rose path for years w/o
any
perceptible problems.

(I do hope the new "from" address will placate my critics.)

Persephone

Come, come, child, adversity builds character.

Thyme is the most obviously absent choice that you have.

Then you could hum "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme".
What? What's that moaning I hear? Humph.

Have you seen that BBC mystery series "Rosemary and Thyme"?
It's about a couple of lady gardeners who dig up stiffs (if I can say
that) on a regular basis than that Fletcher lady. Good show if your not
too demanding.

But if companion planting is what you're looking for, garlic and onions
are the herbs for you. I mean, herbs are nice but without garlic and
onions there isn't a "real" meal.

http://www.gardengal.net/page18.html

You know, you really can't have a placated critic you know. They'd be
out of work.

Hmmmm. You do seem kinda familiar.

Tell you what, I'll give ya 3 steps toward the door ;O)
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

Old 04-04-2009, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 3, 5:14*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
Is there any reason not to plant herbs between roses? *It would be
convenient, since the Rose path is right outside the kitchen door.

I have checked several "complementary" sites and none of them seem to
object,
but wanted to get this NGs reaction.

Herbs a *Sage, Basil, Parsley, Oregano.

Note that an old Rosemary bush has been in the Rose path for years w/o
any
perceptible problems.

(I do hope the new *"from" address will placate my critics.)

Persephone

Come, come, child, adversity builds character.

Thyme is the most obviously absent choice that you have.

Right, thanks. The nurseries have been erratic in what they display.

Then you could hum "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme".
What? What's that moaning I hear? Humph.

Have you seen that BBC mystery series "Rosemary and Thyme"?
It's about a couple of lady gardeners who dig up stiffs (if I can say
that) on a regular basis than that Fletcher lady. Good show if your not
too demanding.

I used to be a big fan of that show. The leads were like real people,
and the Englishly-understated locations were such fun.

But if companion planting is what you're looking for, garlic and onions
are the herbs for you. I mean, herbs are nice but without garlic and
onions there isn't a "real" meal.

You got THAT right! I do have garlic between the roses, and a huge
crop of green onions, which I have to eat up before they go to seed.
I use a lot in one of my favorite dishes -- the quesadilla. In case
they don't have it in your part of the country, it is made of two
large
flour tortillas filled with GOOD cheddar (I pay too much for 3-year-
old
Canadian cheddar), chopped green onions and thin-sliced tomatoes.
Salt and pepper and cook on stovetop in a flat iron skillet, weighed
down with -- something. I have a great old iron press that people
always want to swipe from me.

http://www.gardengal.net/page18.html

You know, you really can't have a placated critic you know. They'd be
out of work.

Hmmmm. You do seem kinda familiar.

But surely not vulgar...

Tell you what, I'll give ya 3 steps toward the door ;O)

You don't actually believe that stuff? Do you know
where Haaretz is coming from?

Oops - forget it - not about to open THAT can of Palestinian
propaganda worms.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 3, 4:15*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 4/3/2009 12:20 PM, wrote:

[...]

Thank you! Very helpful. I will pot them up instead of the Rose
path idea.

In font, I have a rosemary bush (Rosmarinus officinalis) in the ground.
*It's about 30 years old. *It's taller than I am and is currently in
bloom. *It has beautiful branches, all twisted and gnarled; I prune it
to expose those branches.

I did a horrible pruning job on my Rosemary, which is over 30 years
old.
Have to wait until it recovers, and will keep in mind your idea of
exposing the branches.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 3, 4:52*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 13:20:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Is there any reason not to plant herbs between roses? *It would be
convenient, since the Rose path is right outside the kitchen door.

I have checked several "complementary" sites and none of them seem to
object,
but wanted to get this NGs reaction.

Herbs a *Sage, Basil, Parsley, Oregano.

Note that an old Rosemary bush has been in the Rose path for years w/o
any
perceptible problems.

(I do hope the new *"from" address will placate my critics.)

Persephone

I can see a problem planting herbs near roses. *I dump a lot of cow
manure, compost, rotted leaves, fish emulsion around the roses. *The
soil is very rich in organic matter, but many herbs do better in poor
soil. *I have garlic growing as a companion plant to the rose, and
garlic likes the same kind of soil. *Parsley likes rich soil. Rosemay
and sage grow well together.

Thanks to you, too Phishie. Reminds me to feed my roses.

Have learned a lot about herbs & their needs in this conversation;
much obliged.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
wrote:

On Apr 3, 5:14*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Maybe just common.

Tell you what, I'll give ya 3 steps toward the door ;O)

You don't actually believe that stuff? Do you know
where Haaretz is coming from?

Israel?

Oops - forget it - not about to open THAT can of Palestinian
propaganda worms.

Silly me. Now I recognize you. That explains all the blood stains.
http://www.richardsilverstein.com/ti...-drones-murder
-48-gaza-civilians/
or
http://www.turkishweekly.net/news/69...cks-caused-nee
dless-civilian-suffering-in-israel-39-s-gaza-attack.html

But mums the word because Bill R. will think it's an endorsement of
organic gardening.

It's just sooo hard to get the mix right.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 3, 1:20*pm, wrote:
Is there any reason not to plant herbs between roses? *It would be
convenient, since the Rose path is right outside the kitchen door.

I have checked several "complementary" sites and none of them seem to
object,
but wanted to get this NGs reaction.

Herbs a *Sage, Basil, Parsley, Oregano.

Note that an old Rosemary bush has been in the Rose path for years w/o
any
perceptible problems.

(I do hope the new *"from" address will placate my critics.)

Persephone

Unless they are annual herbs, I don't recommend them for planting with
roses. Most perennial herbs are Mediterranean in origin and prefer
lean soil and dry conditions. This is pretty much the opposite of what
roses would like (rich, fertile soil, regular watering, frequent
fertilization) and keeping one happy is going to provoke the other. If
the planting area is large enough, you might be able to get by with
them as a border or edging situation, but as David indicates, several
spread rather aggressively.

Basil and parsley would work fine - they are quite happy in conditions
roses prefer.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 3, 9:30*pm, Charlie wrote:
On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 21:03:31 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

You don't actually believe that stuff? *Do you know
where Haaretz is *coming from?

Oops - forget it - not about to open THAT can of Palestinian
propaganda worms.

You opened that can and damned well intended to open it. *Stuff your
****ing opinions, you cold-hearted ignorant bigot. *You don't know
shit and revealed such with your prejudiced questions and remarks.

Er...that was someone else who posted the URL.

"Earthmother" my effing ass. *You filthify the term and concept of
Earthmother.

"you, you're not aware" -- sami

Eff you.

Charlie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyndi...eature=related

Old 17-04-2009, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 3, 6:15*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:

Be careful with oregano. *It can be as invasive as mint. *Grow it in a
12" flower pot instead of in the ground.

Its a good thing I planted my oregano in the middle of my mint patch.
I can only hope that it will be as successful.