Old 21-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Malcolm Murdoch

Default Herbs???

Hello all
I have just planted a mix of herbs in a small bed in my
front green, this consisted of Rosemary & Time.
the reason I am here is my friend at work told me that I
need to cover or protect my Rosemary for slugs.
Can anyone enlighten me here.

Yours Big Mal Scotland .....

Old 21-06-2005, 10:28 AM

Rubbish. Slugs dont like rosemary.
Herbs generally are too strong flavoured for slugs. I did have one red
flowered lavender get devoured by slugs but i doubt they would ever
bother a robust ordinary type of lavender. Or thyme.

Old 21-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Victoria Clare

"Malcolm Murdoch" wrote in news:5%Qte.43276
:

Hello all
I have just planted a mix of herbs in a small bed in my
front green, this consisted of Rosemary & Time.
the reason I am here is my friend at work told me that I
need to cover or protect my Rosemary for slugs.
Can anyone enlighten me here.

Are you sure your friend meant the Rosemary, and not the thyme?

I have also never had a problem with rosemary and slugs, but I have had
thyme munched by them before now. I find that a mulch of lots of gravel
and a really bright sunny position is needed, as my garden is very wet and
there is a bit of a slug problem!

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 21-06-2005, 01:57 PM

Please could you quote enough context of the post you're replying to,
for your own to make sense? This small courtesy to other posters is a
newsgroup convention There is a weekly help post called abc for
newcomers to urg which has other posting hints on how to get the best
from the group.

---------

Janet,
yep, i have read that thread. But the new google groups (beta) doesnt
seem to support the quoting thing. I didnt post like that
intentionally. Have copied and pasted a bit of your post above. But it
will look a bit odd won't it?
This is the only way i read urg, so I dont have much choice.
um.
sorry
wont post in future

Old 21-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Mike

sorry
wont post in future

That will please the Barrowcloth

Well done net nanny, bet you feel proud now.

"You will conform to what I say, or not at all"

Old 21-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message .com
from contains these words:

Please could you quote enough context of the post you're replying to,
for your own to make sense? This small courtesy to other posters is a
newsgroup convention There is a weekly help post called abc for
newcomers to urg which has other posting hints on how to get the best
from the group.

---------

Janet,
yep, i have read that thread. But the new google groups (beta) doesnt
seem to support the quoting thing. I didnt post like that
intentionally. Have copied and pasted a bit of your post above. But it
will look a bit odd won't it?

It's a big improvement, but lacks the indents () at the start of
each line, which a newsreader automatically puts on to indicate quoted
words. They are useful when conversations include several participants
in one post, but you can add them manually.

This is the only way i read urg, so I dont have much choice.

Why not download a free newsreader? Using google for regualr
reading/posting is the equivalent of doing the supermarket run with a
trolley which won't steer and has wonky wheels. It's not impossible,
just a hassle and a pain. If you do an advanced search there in this
group's archive, you'll find many previous discussions and
recommendations for newsreaders.

um.
sorry
wont post in future

There's no need to go away, at all. We all made boobs when we started
and still do occasionally. Don't be misled by a malicious troll lying
that this group discourages newcomers here...that's his own intention.
It's just that the group works better for everyone if we can all
follow the threads easily. While it's very tolerant of brand new
arrivals making posting mistakes, patience becomes a bit frayed if that
tolerance is taken advantage of, and the group's wellmeaning attempts
to help are repeatedly ignored. Obviously you aren't in that category
because you've made the effort to adapt.

Janet

Old 21-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Mike

that this group discourages newcomers here

Barrowcloth, you and the other 'owners' are the only ones who discourage
newbies on this newsgroup. You have proved this with today's postings, and
the fact that you have backpeddled like hell to seem a 'bit more welcoming'
to this poster.

Newbies, as I said before, this newsgroup is as much YOURS as those who feel
that because they were in the garden with Adam in the first place, they have
more rights than you. WRONG Don't let them rule you and this newsgroup any
more than they rule your garden.

NB to Barrowcloth et al I will defend and strike back at you every time I am
on this newsgroup and see you having a go at newbies. Just because you were
all born with a Spade and Fork in your mouths, it does NOT give you the God
given right to be superior to those less informed than yourselves. Try help
with a capital "H" instead of "AGGRESSION" and if you are having a bad hair
day, don't switch your computer on

To those new to gardening, welcome

Mike
a non gardener, but who hates net nannies, but has a wife who loves
gardening.

Old 21-06-2005, 04:16 PM
newsb

In article , Mike
writes
a non gardener, but who hates net nannies, but has a wife who loves
gardening.

I can understand why she might be keen to get out of the house.

--
regards andyw

Old 21-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Mike

"newsb" wrote in message
In article , Mike
writes
a non gardener, but who hates net nannies, but has a wife who loves
gardening.

I can understand why she might be keen to get out of the house.

--

Yes she hates net nannies too but is much to much of a Lady to stand up to
the self imposed 'Kings and Queens' as I am :-))

By the way, does anyone know what the weather is going to be like in the
Coventry/RAF Cosford area this weekend? We have a Spitfire fly past
organised and we would hate to see it 'weathered off'

Mike
Chairman of the National Service (Royal Air Force) Association

--
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 4 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea

Old 21-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Kay

In article , Malcolm
Murdoch writes
Hello all
I have just planted a mix of herbs in a small bed in my
front green, this consisted of Rosemary & Time.
the reason I am here is my friend at work told me that I
need to cover or protect my Rosemary for slugs.
Can anyone enlighten me here.

I don't know about small rosemary plants -while they're still very young
and soft they may be vulnerable - but once they are large and shrubby
slugs don't damage them. Same goes for thyme - it might be vulnerable
when small. Keep an eye on them, and take action if the plants seem to
be shrinking rather than growing!
--
Kay

Old 22-06-2005, 12:56 AM
andrewpreece

"newsb" wrote in message
In article , Mike
writes
a non gardener, but who hates net nannies, but has a wife who loves
gardening.

I can understand why she might be keen to get out of the house.

Sarah's posts read all right to me. You start at the top post, then work
your way down
the thread, with each one being the reply to the one before. What's to
complain about?
Baffled,

Andy.

Old 22-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Kay

In article , andrewpreece
writes

Sarah's posts read all right to me. You start at the top post, then work
your way down
the thread, with each one being the reply to the one before. What's to
complain about?

It's fine if you're reading the thread in one go, but if you have
already read part of the thread, and then another post comes in, it's
helpful to see enough context for that post to stand on its own, instead
of having to delve back re-opening previous posts.

--
Kay

Old 22-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

This is the only way i read urg, so I dont have much choice.

Why not download a free newsreader? Using google for regualr
reading/posting is the equivalent of doing the supermarket run with a
trolley which won't steer and has wonky wheels. It's not impossible,
just a hassle and a pain. If you do an advanced search there in this
group's archive, you'll find many previous discussions and
recommendations for newsreaders.

If there's no-one here who knows how to get Google replies to work
properly, I think someone in The Shed has it sussed.

I could ask, if necessary.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Herbs and Roses [email protected] Gardening 13 17-04-2009 05:35 PM
Ecoaromuz organic herbs and essential oils Lluisa Plant Biology 0 19-03-2003 08:56 PM
Greenhouse for herbs? JoAnna Edible Gardening 3 09-02-2003 03:37 PM
Greenhouse for herbs? JoAnna Gardening 3 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
herbs in winter Andy Spragg United Kingdom 1 28-09-2002 09:26 AM