Old 06-03-2003, 09:36 PM
The Gorilla

Default Spring Onions

Hi all,

having lurked around here for a few months it's time to plunge in!!

We are Ged n Leigh and have recently taken over an allotment in sunny Lincs!
Having black polyed months ago we are almost ready to begin...

My question is this!!
can you sow Spring onions in individual pots and then successfully
transplant later on?? Or must they be sown in situ and thinned out as
required??

Many thanks in advance
Ged

Old 07-03-2003, 05:47 AM
Alan Gould

In article , The
Gorilla writes
We are Ged n Leigh and have recently taken over an allotment in sunny Lincs!
Having black polyed months ago we are almost ready to begin...

Hullo both, welcome to urg.

My question is this!!
can you sow Spring onions in individual pots and then successfully
transplant later on?? Or must they be sown in situ and thinned out as
required??

If you mean 'Spring' onions as in the small salad onion range, they can
be grown either way. There would be no need for thinning though even the
smallest slips can be used as chives. We do ours in half seed trays,
leaving them in the trays until they finish.

Spring sown maincrop onions are better sown either in pots or trays,
then planted out in their growing positions later.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Spring Onions - Onions? Charles Thorpe United Kingdom 1 19-09-2003 06:51 AM
Spring Onions - Onions? Charles Thorpe United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 11:48 PM
spring onions(try again) miklol United Kingdom 2 24-03-2003 08:44 PM
spring onions miklol United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 11:30 AM
spring onions miklol United Kingdom 8 30-09-2002 06:35 AM