Old 26-06-2005, 08:25 PM
JennyC

Default Plant ID?

Hi all

A friend has a large shrub type plant in her garden that we'd like to identify.

Its about 7ft tall
Large leaves with a 'hairy' feel to them
The stem of the leaf bracts is also very 'hairy'
These are soft hairs, green coloured
It has large white flowers
Has a very tropical look to it, but grows here in Holland without any trouble

I've googled, but not been able to find it.

Any ideas?

--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)

Old 26-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Kay

In article , JennyC
writes
Hi all

A friend has a large shrub type plant in her garden that we'd like to identify.

Its about 7ft tall
Large leaves with a 'hairy' feel to them
The stem of the leaf bracts is also very 'hairy'
These are soft hairs, green coloured
It has large white flowers
Has a very tropical look to it, but grows here in Holland without any trouble

What are the flowers like? Single? In clusters? 6inches across - more,
less? How many petals? Do they sit up or hang down?

What shape are the leaves?
--
Kay

Old 26-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , JennyC
writes
Hi all

A friend has a large shrub type plant in her garden that we'd like to identify.

Its about 7ft tall
Large leaves with a 'hairy' feel to them
The stem of the leaf bracts is also very 'hairy'
These are soft hairs, green coloured
It has large white flowers
Has a very tropical look to it, but grows here in Holland without any trouble

I've googled, but not been able to find it.

Any ideas?

--
Jenny

It could be a well-grown specimen of one of the white-flowered
Lavatera's - 'Barnsley' or 'Blushing Bride' at least could get to that
size. (I wouldn't say "tropical look", but that's subjective). I'm sure
that there must be other plants matching this description, but their
identities escape me.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 28-06-2005, 05:50 AM
JennyC

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , JennyC
writes
Hi all

A friend has a large shrub type plant in her garden that we'd like to

identify.

Its about 7ft tall
Large leaves with a 'hairy' feel to them
The stem of the leaf bracts is also very 'hairy'
These are soft hairs, green coloured
It has large white flowers
Has a very tropical look to it, but grows here in Holland without any trouble

What are the flowers like? Single? In clusters? 6inches across - more,
less? How many petals? Do they sit up or hang down?

Don't know !
I've never seen the flowers myself. I will enquire.

What shape are the leaves?

They are a sort of large oval. Fairly smooth on top and 'hairy' underneath.

I'll be at her house over the weekend and will take pictures..........
Jenny

Old 28-06-2005, 05:50 AM
JennyC

[...]

No. Much more tropical than a Lavatera :~)
Jenny

Old 04-07-2005, 05:24 AM
JennyC

"JennyC" wrote

A friend has a large shrub type plant in her garden that we'd like to
identify.

Its about 7ft tall
Large leaves with a 'hairy' feel to them
The stem of the leaf bracts is also very 'hairy'
These are soft hairs, green coloured
It has large white flowers
Has a very tropical look to it, but grows here in Holland without any

trouble

I've googled, but not been able to find it.
Any ideas?

I think I have found it :~))
Hydrangea aspera sargentiana :

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldia/h/ex/hysarg.htm

Jenny :~)

Old 04-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Kay

In article , JennyC
writes

"JennyC" wrote

A friend has a large shrub type plant in her garden that we'd like to
identify.

Its about 7ft tall
Large leaves with a 'hairy' feel to them
The stem of the leaf bracts is also very 'hairy'
These are soft hairs, green coloured
It has large white flowers
Has a very tropical look to it, but grows here in Holland without any

trouble

I've googled, but not been able to find it.
Any ideas?

I think I have found it :~))
Hydrangea aspera sargentiana :

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldia/h/ex/hysarg.htm

Blimey, Jenny, how were we supposed to get that from that description,
when you leave out the most characteristic bit, the shape of the
flowers? ;-)

--
Kay

Old 05-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Kay contains these words:

In article , JennyC
writes

"JennyC" wrote

A friend has a large shrub type plant in her garden that we'd
like to
identify.

Its about 7ft tall
Large leaves with a 'hairy' feel to them
The stem of the leaf bracts is also very 'hairy'
These are soft hairs, green coloured
It has large white flowers
Has a very tropical look to it, but grows here in Holland
without any
trouble

I've googled, but not been able to find it.
Any ideas?

I think I have found it :~))
Hydrangea aspera sargentiana :

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldia/h/ex/hysarg.htm

Blimey, Jenny, how were we supposed to get that from that description,
when you leave out the most characteristic bit, the shape of the
flowers? ;-)

"Large white flowers" had me thinking along the lines of magnolia :-}

Janet

Old 05-07-2005, 04:42 PM
JennyC

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , JennyC
writes

"JennyC" wrote

A friend has a large shrub type plant in her garden that we'd like to
identify.

Its about 7ft tall
Large leaves with a 'hairy' feel to them
The stem of the leaf bracts is also very 'hairy'
These are soft hairs, green coloured
It has large white flowers
Has a very tropical look to it, but grows here in Holland without any
trouble

I've googled, but not been able to find it.
Any ideas?

I think I have found it :~))
Hydrangea aspera sargentiana :

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldia/h/ex/hysarg.htm

Blimey, Jenny, how were we supposed to get that from that description,
when you leave out the most characteristic bit, the shape of the
flowers? ;-)
Kay

'cos it didn't flower this year, due to my friend pruning of all the flower
shots in spring !!!!!!! So I didn't know what they looked like...........
Jenny