Old 02-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Registered User

Default Sad Ceanothus

I have a Ceanothus "Concha".
It bloomed magnificantly this year.
Now I am paying the price as it is shedding all its leaves.
It is now more yellow/brown than green.
Not enough water or too much?
Or is there another problem
The position is sunny and it gets the sun nearly all day long.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:29 PM
andrewpreece

news

--
pmarkc

Mine is shedding a few leaves, there are a reasonable number that are
discoloured,
I get the impression it is just renewing its leaves for the rest of the
season. However,
yours sounds a little more sickly than mine, as mine is more green than
yellow/brown!
Sorry I cannot be more help, mine is 'Autumnal Blue' anyway.

Andy.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Emrys Davies

"pmarkc" wrote in message
news

I have a Ceanothus "Concha".
It bloomed magnificantly this year.
Now I am paying the price as it is shedding all its leaves.
It is now more yellow/brown than green.
Not enough water or too much?
Or is there another problem
The position is sunny and it gets the sun nearly all day long.

Have a thorough look for aphids because, if they are present, they tend
to poison the shrub.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Kate Morgan

I have a Ceanothus "Concha".
It bloomed magnificantly this year.
Now I am paying the price as it is shedding all its leaves.
It is now more yellow/brown than green.
Not enough water or too much?
Or is there another problem
The position is sunny and it gets the sun nearly all day long.

I had one that went like that, I dont know what sort it was as it was in
the garden of an old house that we bought I would think it was pretty
old by the size of the trunk. Against advice I hard pruned it and for
the last two years it has been brilliant, maybe I was lucky.

kate
Old 03-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Emrys Davies" contains these words:

"pmarkc" wrote in message
news

I have a Ceanothus "Concha".
It bloomed magnificantly this year.
Now I am paying the price as it is shedding all its leaves.

Have a thorough look for aphids because, if they are present, they tend
to poison the shrub.

Eh? I've never heard of that. Exactly how could aphids poison a shrub,
and why would nature program them to kill their own food supply?

Janet.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Ornata

Well - they spread disease. As to the yellowing/browning of the
leaves, could it be chlorosis? Although Ceanothus are lime-tolerant,
apparently they are prone to chlorosis on very alkaline soils. My C.
'Concha' has yellowing leaves, and it didn't even knock itself out with
its floral display this year. I've given it a watering with a chemical
feed that contains sequestered iron and other stuff that gets locked up
in an alkaline soil. I had another 'Concha' that simply turned brown
and died for no apparent reason.

Old 04-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message .com
from "Ornata" contains these words:

Well - they spread disease.

Please quote the context, without it your comment is meaningless.

Janet.

Ceanothus problem SteveC United Kingdom 12 09-06-2006 08:59 PM
Hard pruning Ceanothus Barry Watts United Kingdom 2 12-05-2003 08:33 AM
ceanothus emc United Kingdom 5 15-02-2003 05:06 PM
Ceanothus for hedging? david United Kingdom 6 15-02-2003 03:08 AM
Ceanothus for hedging? Adrian Stanley United Kingdom 3 08-02-2003 10:11 AM