Old 03-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Registered User

Default violet weed in lawn

My lawn has been infested with a weed which looks very much like a miniature violet plant. When it flowers it has pretty violet coloured flowers and left to its own devices it spreads to the rest of the garden and pots. It appears impervious to lawn feed and weed and I wonder if anyone knows how to eradicate it? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Possibly veronica. Try a google image search to confirm.

I know things can be invasive, but it always seems a shame to me to
eradicate something that is pretty.

I knowhay you mean - the Veronica I was at school with was a stunner...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 04-07-2005, 11:41 PM
datsy

My lawn has been infested with a weed which looks very much like a
miniature violet plant. When it flowers it has pretty violet coloured
flowers and left to its own devices it spreads to the rest of the
garden and pots. It appears impervious to lawn feed and weed and I
wonder if anyone knows how to eradicate it? Thanks for any
suggestions.

Possibly veronica. Try a google image search to confirm.

I know things can be invasive, but it always seems a shame to me to
eradicate something that is pretty.
--

Another possibility is heartsease - see link below to image. I had this in
my last house, not in the lawn as I didn't have one, but it kept popping up

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...icial%26sa%3DN

Old 05-07-2005, 07:17 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsy

My lawn has been infested with a weed which looks very much like a
miniature violet plant. When it flowers it has pretty violet coloured
flowers and left to its own devices it spreads to the rest of the
garden and pots. It appears impervious to lawn feed and weed and I
wonder if anyone knows how to eradicate it? Thanks for any
suggestions.

Possibly veronica. Try a google image search to confirm.

I know things can be invasive, but it always seems a shame to me to
eradicate something that is pretty.
--

Another possibility is heartsease - see link below to image. I had this in
my last house, not in the lawn as I didn't have one, but it kept popping up
all over the garden and in the gravel. Absolutely gorgeous littel plant.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...icial%26sa%3DN
Thanks very much for the replies, but I'm afraid the plant is definitely not one of those suggested. It's called Wild Violet and can be seen he

http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/wild_violet_17/

I will certainly try verdone though.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
clivedown writes:

| Another possibility is heartsease - see link below to image. I had this
| in
| my last house, not in the lawn as I didn't have one, but it kept
| popping up
| all over the garden and in the gravel. Absolutely gorgeous littel
| plant.
|
| Thanks very much for the replies, but I'm afraid the plant is
| definitely not one of those suggested. It's called Wild Violet and can
| be seen he

Er, heartsease IS a wild violet - which is a generic name, and
not that of a particular species. There are half a dozen species
of Viola commonly found wild in the UK and more exist.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 17:16:33 +0000, clivedown
wrote:

My lawn has been infested with a weed which looks very much like a
miniature violet plant. When it flowers it has pretty violet coloured
flowers and left to its own devices it spreads to the rest of the
garden and pots. It appears impervious to lawn feed and weed and I
wonder if anyone knows how to eradicate it? Thanks for any
suggestions.

I had the same thing happen in my front garden. It was not the real
wild violet but some form of viola odorata, that seeded itself into my
neighbour's lawn and also into the grass verge also. I have no lawn
but my neighbour has now paved the whole of her front and back
gardens! (not because of my violets!)
They have disappeared from the verge also.
I thought they were pretty, and if it had been my lawn I would not
have tried to eradicate them.

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Pam Moore writes:

| I had the same thing happen in my front garden. It was not the real
| wild violet but some form of viola odorata, that seeded itself into my
| neighbour's lawn and also into the grass verge also. I have no lawn
| but my neighbour has now paved the whole of her front and back
| gardens! (not because of my violets!)
| They have disappeared from the verge also.
| I thought they were pretty, and if it had been my lawn I would not
| have tried to eradicate them.

Are you sure that it wasn't the wild Viola odorata? It's not rare.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Registered User

So do we still think that Verdone will eradicate this weed (even though it looks pretty) from my lawn?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:24:48 +0100, "Rod Craddock"
wrote:

Are you sure it didn't smell? - The scent (at least of the cultivated form I
grow) is elusive and some people don't get it at all. The chemicals
involved temporarily knock out the sense of smell so if you don't get it at
first sniff it will be a while before you will get it. It was used a lot in
smellier times as a strewing herb for that reason.
--
Rod

No, Rod, I'd heard that but I never could get any smell from it. Very
disappointing!

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-07-2005, 12:30 PM
pammyT