Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Ben Edgington

Default Brussels Sprout Infestation

Dear All,

Some of my brussels have developed fairly large (several cms diameter) dense
grey patches on the upper surfaces of the leaves. At first sight it looks just
as if somebody had poured water on them and then emptied the contents of an ash
tray on top - they are raised and look somewhat fluffy. Around the patches the
leaves are starting to yellow and shrivel a little.

At first I thought, fungal infection. But the symptoms don't really seem to
match what my books tell me about powdery mildew or grey mould.

On closer inspection the patches look more like aphid colonies - little grains
that occasionally move. I've seen brown aphids and green aphids, but never
grey before, so I'm still not sure.

Can anyone identify this, and, even better, recommend treatment?

Many thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Edgington