Old 26-06-2012, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anyone had luck with Brussels sprout plants?

Mine are just turning from redish to green and seem to be growing a bit.
After umpteen attempts.
Same with Savoy cabbage.
I am wondering if it's too late now for them to produce.

Thanks
Baz
Old 26-06-2012, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

Mine are just turning from redish to green and seem to be growing a bit.
After umpteen attempts.
Same with Savoy cabbage.
I am wondering if it's too late now for them to produce.

With us it's the brassicas that are the only things growing well other than
the potatoes. Tried two lots of new parsnip seed and not a one came up.
Fennel and carrots are now doing OK after replanting but I think that was
slugs/snails. Cucurbits and beans look terrible and are just sulking.
Got the Garlic up yesterday and despite serious rust they look fine, good
crop.
I would expect your brassicas to be OK in the long term, this cold weather
can't continue all "summer" surely.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-06-2012, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
Mine are just turning from redish to green and seem to be growing a bit.
After umpteen attempts.
Same with Savoy cabbage.
I am wondering if it's too late now for them to produce.

The bloody pigeons got to ours before we could!

How the hell can I keep the damned pigeons away?

Alan

Old 26-06-2012, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
Tried two lots of new parsnip seed and not a one came up.

Snip
I can go one better than that - literally :-)
--
hugh
Old 26-06-2012, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote

"Baz" wrote
Mine are just turning from redish to green and seem to be growing a bit.
After umpteen attempts.
Same with Savoy cabbage.
I am wondering if it's too late now for them to produce.

The bloody pigeons got to ours before we could!

How the hell can I keep the damned pigeons away?

We bought a Fruit Cage and move it around the plot in our 4 year rotation.
There are other cabbage protection things out there too.

Harrod Horticultural seem to be the leading firm doing such things.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/f...es-tcid16.html
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-06-2012, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote

"Baz" wrote
Mine are just turning from redish to green and seem to be growing a bit.
After umpteen attempts.
Same with Savoy cabbage.
I am wondering if it's too late now for them to produce.

The bloody pigeons got to ours before we could!

How the hell can I keep the damned pigeons away?

We bought a Fruit Cage and move it around the plot in our 4 year rotation.
There are other cabbage protection things out there too.

Harrod Horticultural seem to be the leading firm doing such things.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/f...es-tcid16.html
--

Not of immediate help, but keep an eye out for building sites. End of roll
yellow water pipe and scaffolding netting just gets thrown away. A polite

Old 26-06-2012, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Mine are just turning from redish to green and seem to be growing a bit.
After umpteen attempts.
Same with Savoy cabbage.
I am wondering if it's too late now for them to produce.

Mine were looking very sad after I left them way too long in seedling
compost in seed trays. But I've potted them up a little bit into some
more healthy compost, and they're coming on a treat. Still in the
greenhouse at the moment. Nowhere near ready to go into the ground.
Old 26-06-2012, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

hugh ] wrote:
In message , Bob Hobden
writes
Tried two lots of new parsnip seed and not a one came up.

Snip
I can go one better than that - literally :-)

I got zero from the ones /I/ planted, but the self-sown ones
from the plot next door going to seed have totally taken over
the onion patch!!
Old 26-06-2012, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 18:04:45 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
Mine are just turning from redish to green and seem to be growing a bit.
After umpteen attempts.
Same with Savoy cabbage.
I am wondering if it's too late now for them to produce.

The bloody pigeons got to ours before we could!

How the hell can I keep the damned pigeons away?

Alan

A bulk pack of B&Q (or other) treated battens, a roll of your
favourite chicken wire, a few woodscrews, a saw, a staple gun (or a
large roll of twisty tie), possibly a pack or two of furniture repair
brackets and you're away.

A year or so ago when I was in full employment, I made the mistake of
buying a couple of Agriframes crop cages which came with mesh, fleece
and polythene - and a few groundhooks. The foxes jumped on top and
dug in through the sides. The frames are now clad with chicken wire
and have removable lids fabricated from said battens and a suitable
mesh. I gave the soft mesh away for a rabbit run. The fleece was
useful to keep the frost off the first earlies planted in bins in the
greenhouse.

One frame is covering some feral straberry plants of uncertain
parentage, the second is covering a small patch of Savoy Cabbage and
some pots containing Offenham 2 winter cabbages for which I do not yet
have space in my fruit cage.

I planted 9 Brussels sprout plants in a raised bed about a metre
square. That also has a batten & wire cage over it. The Bs are
trying to escape but are untouched by the birdlife.

The Solent Wight garlic that I lifted yesterday are moderate to good.
The Tusany Wights are hopeless. It's too early to explore the Marco
and the Echalotte Gris rotted in the ground - they are now extracted,
bagged and heading off site ASAP. Don't know if it's white rot or
not.

Overwintering onions are to be lifted shortly, probably on Friday.
Broad beans remain to be culled and frozen, leaving the row of peas.
Once they've been harvested. Industrial scale weeding will then take
place at that end of the cage, probably chemically assisted.

My outdoor first early spuds are still too small for a proper harvest
but allegedly tasty.

I fear the Blight.

Regards
JonH (In West London)
Old 26-06-2012, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

John h wrote
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Baz" wrote
[...]

Seems to be a good year for White Rot, we have it on our plot but got a good
crop of Garlic with only about 6 with it that had to be thrown away.
Experience says anything with Wight in it's name is no good for us, I
suspect it's because we are on acid soil, they are grown on chalk. Neighbour
lost all his Garlic to WR but then he plants close, whereas we always plant
at least 9 inches apart for all alliums so the roots don't touch and it
can't spread down the row. Our Echalotte Gris is doing OK, a few of the 40
have succumbed to WR but no more than I would expect.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-06-2012, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Seems to be a good year for White Rot, we have it on our plot but got a good
crop of Garlic with only about 6 with it that had to be thrown away.

Ditto, pulled them all up cos they were getting a spot of rust, and there
were only 2 duds and about 25 good ones

Old 27-06-2012, 07:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
Mine are just turning from redish to green and seem to be growing a bit.
After umpteen attempts.
Same with Savoy cabbage.
I am wondering if it's too late now for them to produce.

Bro made a mistake by planting them out without netting and the pigeons got
them instantly. They are still alive, but whether they will do any good? I
doubt it.

Old 27-06-2012, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 26, 6:04*pm, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message

Mine are just turning from redish to green and seem to be growing a bit..
After umpteen attempts.
Same with Savoy cabbage.
I am wondering if it's too late now for them to produce.

The bloody pigeons got to ours before we could!

How the hell can I keep the damned pigeons away?

Alan

Bird scarers. EG dangling CD disks.
They have to be changed regularly for something different, they get
used to them. Orl ead poison.
Old 27-06-2012, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message

Mine are just turning from redish to green and seem to be growing a bit.
After umpteen attempts.
Same with Savoy cabbage.
I am wondering if it's too late now for them to produce.

The bloody pigeons got to ours before we could!

How the hell can I keep the damned pigeons away?

Alan

Bird scarers. EG dangling CD disks.
They have to be changed regularly for something different, they get
used to them. Or lead poison.

Where will I get bird scarers?

And what is lead poison, and how do I use it, and get it?

Alan

Old 27-06-2012, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message

Mine are just turning from redish to green and seem to be growing a bit.
After umpteen attempts.
Same with Savoy cabbage.
I am wondering if it's too late now for them to produce.

The bloody pigeons got to ours before we could!

How the hell can I keep the damned pigeons away?

Alan

Bird scarers. EG dangling CD disks.
They have to be changed regularly for something different, they get
used to them. Or lead poison.

Where will I get bird scarers?

And what is lead poison, and how do I use it, and get it?

Alan

There are a number of versions, .177, .22, 410 and 12 gauge. Shotgun
certificates are required for the ownership of the applicators of the
latter.

Regards
JonH