Old 09-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Registered User

Angry carrots

My carrots are rubbish. They're in a light sandy soil with good drainage that's pretty much stone-free. Yet the carrots planted in April have come out like emaciated stunted pencils. The ones i saw on gardeners' world last night were ace. what am i doing wrong?
Old 09-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
dan_bo wrote:

My carrots are rubbish. They're in a light sandy soil with good drainage
that's pretty much stone-free. Yet the carrots planted in April have
come out like emaciated stunted pencils. The ones i saw on gardeners'
world last night were ace. what am i doing wrong?

Living in the wrong country. I will bet that the pictures were not
of this year's carrots. It has been so bloody cold than mine are
similar to yours, and I have (like you) almost ideal soil.

I believe that the penalty for showing a gardening program on television
or writing a gardening article and using data from previous years or
otther seasons, without making that clear, should be the stocks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 08:59:59 +0000, dan_bo
wrote:

My carrots are rubbish. They're in a light sandy soil with good drainage
that's pretty much stone-free. Yet the carrots planted in April have
come out like emaciated stunted pencils. The ones i saw on gardeners'
world last night were ace. what am i doing wrong?

Probably your soil is too well drained. Try incorporating some fine
(sieved) compost next year or peat or peat substitute.
(This advice from one who has given up trying to grow carrots because
my soil is too sticky and stony!)

Pam in Bristol
Old 10-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Broadback wrote:

Oh, I can grow carrots ok, no problem. Of course there is a snag, the
root fly grubs love them and ruin them. No matter what I try. :-(((

I find that the resistant varieties work well enough, especially
Marshall's, though 'resistant' does not mean 'immune'. I also
do not weed or thin in the heat of the day.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Broadback

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Broadback wrote:

Oh, I can grow carrots ok, no problem. Of course there is a snag, the
root fly grubs love them and ruin them. No matter what I try. :-(((

I find that the resistant varieties work well enough, especially
Marshall's, though 'resistant' does not mean 'immune'. I also
do not weed or thin in the heat of the day.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Well there is no way I am going into the garden in the heat of today!
A Northern European am I, is this the start of the heatwave they
promised us? Sorry folks but I hope not!

--
All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Broadback wrote:

Well there is no way I am going into the garden in the heat of today!
A Northern European am I, is this the start of the heatwave they
promised us? Sorry folks but I hope not!

Oh, I do hope that it is - but, then, I am not a European native!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (1/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 26-07-2011 06:43 PM
Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (0/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 20-07-2011 12:16 AM
Carrots shazzbat United Kingdom 1 11-06-2003 12:20 AM
Why have my carrots not come up? welshuser United Kingdom 34 05-06-2003 09:20 AM
Black Carrots Mook23 Gardening 7 03-04-2003 01:32 AM