Old 10-07-2005, 08:18 PM
JennyC

Default cacti-winter-polytunnel?

I was wondering whether any URGlers have experience of keeping cacti in a
polytunnel?

Any info regarding ventilation, heating in winter etc would be good.
--
Jenny
(Rotterdam the Netherlands)

Old 10-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Martin Brown

JennyC wrote:

I was wondering whether any URGlers have experience of keeping cacti in a
polytunnel?

Any info regarding ventilation, heating in winter etc would be good.

Which species? If you can keep them dry and above 5C worst case most
(apart from obvious tropical species and succulents from Madagascar)
will hang on but may be marked. I keep very temperature sensitive plants
indoors for the winter since I cannot ensure reliable electricity in
winter storms. It is worth separating them and keeping the most touchy
ones at the blind end possibly inside a second skin well away from drafts.

It is amazing how well a bubble wrap curtain will help keep the warm end
a lot warmer than the end where the door is. My experience is actually
with a long thin greenhouse, but I think it will translate well to a
polytunnel.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 10-07-2005, 10:58 PM
ned

"JennyC" wrote in message
I was wondering whether any URGlers have experience of keeping cacti

in a
polytunnel?

Any info regarding ventilation, heating in winter etc would be good.

Jenny,
Many cacti nurseries do just that. Just keep them dry and with as low
humidity as possible.

Many cacti in the wild survive naturally in those conditions - but not
all!
You will have to check on the natural environments of each species to
see which will cope and which will not. There will be some which will
require more TLC.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 09.07.2005

Old 11-07-2005, 12:54 PM
JW

JennyC wrote:

I was wondering whether any URGlers have experience of keeping cacti in a
polytunnel?

Any info regarding ventilation, heating in winter etc would be good.

I generally keep my cactus as dry as poss in winter but 'frost free' in
our greenhouse.. Its bubble plastic lined & heated with a parrafin
heater.

I'd think condensation & humidity might be a problem in a polytunnel
tho?

Hardiness is relative but the most important thing seems to be keeping
them dry.

JimW
--
Plants etc on Ebay
Check it out
Old 11-07-2005, 05:06 PM
JennyC

"JW" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:

I was wondering whether any URGlers have experience of keeping cacti in a
polytunnel?

Any info regarding ventilation, heating in winter etc would be good.

I generally keep my cactus as dry as poss in winter but 'frost free' in
our greenhouse.. Its bubble plastic lined & heated with a parrafin
heater.

Me too. I keep the GH at about 5 degrees C and the plants bone dry.
I bubble wrap the inside of the GH and have a small electric fan heater......
Jenny

Winter caulis in Polytunnel? Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 18 21-01-2013 02:05 PM
The evolution of cacti Cereoid+10+ Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
cacti iona Gardening 3 14-03-2003 12:56 AM
Cacti Shadow Gardening 12 09-03-2003 04:08 AM
Red Spider Mite on cacti Jolltax United Kingdom 5 16-02-2003 07:26 PM