Old 18-01-2013, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter caulis in Polytunnel?

I have previously (for 10 years ) only grown Spinach in my poly in the
winter, but this year I planted spring cabbage and broad beans, and they are
all looking really healthy. The beans are about a foot high. I was wondering
if anyone had grown cauliflowers in a polytunnel in the winter and they
could share their experience.

Trevor
Kirkburn
East Yorkshire
(5 years away from usenet due to lack of Outlook Express but have discovered
Windows Mail - and I thought it was just for mail!!)

Old 18-01-2013, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/01/2013 19:57, Trevor Appleton wrote:
I have previously (for 10 years ) only grown Spinach in my poly in the
winter, but this year I planted spring cabbage and broad beans, and they are
all looking really healthy. The beans are about a foot high. I was wondering
if anyone had grown cauliflowers in a polytunnel in the winter and they
could share their experience.

Trevor
Kirkburn
East Yorkshire
(5 years away from usenet due to lack of Outlook Express but have discovered
Windows Mail - and I thought it was just for mail!!)

No, you've actually discovered Windows Live Mail. Possibly the worst
usenet news client ever due to its inability to correctly quote previous
posts in replies. Others will go crazy trying to follow a thread where
WLM has been used.

Dump it and use a different news reader. I happen to use Thunderbird,
but there are many others out there.

--

Jeff
Old 18-01-2013, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
[...]

I am using WLM.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-01-2013, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote

"Jeff Layman" wrote
Trevor Appleton wrote:
[...]

So am I but I also use a little program, actually a couple, that works with
WLM to sort out the quotes etc.
AutoHotkey and WlmQuoteFix.
I just can't be bothered using another separate Newsreader.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-01-2013, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote

"Jeff Layman" wrote
Trevor Appleton wrote:
[...]

I don't have problems with the quotes thing. Probably because mine is an
early version. I am saving the stuff you have shared in case I have to
upgrade, so thanks for sharing.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 19-01-2013, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/01/2013 19:57, Trevor Appleton wrote:
I have previously (for 10 years ) only grown Spinach in my poly in the
winter, but this year I planted spring cabbage and broad beans, and they
are all looking really healthy. The beans are about a foot high. I was
wondering if anyone had grown cauliflowers in a polytunnel in the winter
and they could share their experience.

Trevor
Kirkburn
East Yorkshire
(5 years away from usenet due to lack of Outlook Express but have
discovered Windows Mail - and I thought it was just for mail!!)

I suspect that few have tried to grow caulies under glass or polythene
over winter because of the space they take up, if you have spare space
then give it a try, look for a small variety of winter cauliflower, they
will have to be sown around May, planted into the tunnel end of
June/July so will be taking up space fpr a lot of the time you would
want the room for other crops.
I wouldn't bother
Old 19-01-2013, 10:01 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
I suspect that few have tried to grow caulies under glass or polythene
over winter because of the space they take up, if you have spare space
then give it a try, look for a small variety of winter cauliflower, they
will have to be sown around May, planted into the tunnel end of
June/July so will be taking up space fpr a lot of the time you would
want the room for other crops.
I wouldn't bother
If you're growing small ones, could they not be grown in containers and moved in to the polytunnel in autumn?
__________________
Old 19-01-2013, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I use Outlook for mail - does that do news?

"Martin" wrote in message

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 22:56:07 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote

"Jeff Layman" wrote
Trevor Appleton wrote:
[...]

Most alternatives do both mail and newsreader.
--

Martin

Old 20-01-2013, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Trevor Appleton wrote:
I suspect that few have tried to grow caulies under glass or polythene
over winter because of the space they take up, if you have spare space
then give it a try, look for a small variety of winter cauliflower, they
will have to be sown around May, planted into the tunnel end of
June/July so will be taking up space fpr a lot of the time you would
want the room for other crops.
I wouldn't bother

This year I've accidentally grown a pot of caulis in the greenhouse,
which are just now coming good. Due to the lack of pests and lack of
weather damage, they are looking like my best caulis ever.

Next year I'm planning* to grow brassicas up the sides of my tomatoes,
then when the tomatoes are finished, to cut them down to the ground and
leave the brassicas in situ over winter.

Old 21-01-2013, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

WLM?

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 09:05:26 -0000, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

I would have my tomatoes in pots and plant them into the around them.

See comments about using WLM and act accordingly.

Old 21-01-2013, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes - kind of what I had in mind - the spring cabbages look so healthy and
strong at the moment I think the caulis would do OK, they used to harvest
them mid winter on the south coast of Devon which got me thinking.

Old 21-01-2013, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/21/2013 4:14 AM, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:16:28 -0000, "Trevor Appleton"
wrote:

Yes - kind of what I had in mind - the spring cabbages look so healthy and
strong at the moment I think the caulis would do OK, they used to harvest
them mid winter on the south coast of Devon which got me thinking.

You might have noticed that people don't top post here and do quote
messages properly.

Perhaps he will notice, now.