Old 13-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Ros Butt

Default making lavender bags

I was thinking of using some of my lavender to make some lavender bags, but
I've a couple of questions as I've never made any before.

Do I dry it first?
Is there anything else I need to do with it?

many thanks
Ros
Chichester
West Sussex, UK.
Old 13-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Ros Butt wrote:
I was thinking of using some of my lavender to make some lavender
bags, but I've a couple of questions as I've never made any before.

Do I dry it first?

My mother does this every year and there's nothing to it really. Pick the
heads before they've fully opened and allow to dry a little. The best way
to dry lavender is to tie it in bundles with a loop of string and hang it in
a dry place. Then simply separate the individual 'florets' from the stem by
running your fingers along them the wrong way. You need to either do this
outside, or cover the floor with a dust sheet (unless you don't mind a clean
up job!) My mother actually cheats and doesn't make bags at all. She simply
cuts 8" (20cm) squares from lavender gingham, places it in the middle (about
a tablespoon is all you need), folds in the edges and then gathers them up
and ties with either lavender or white satin ribbon. Sometimes she will
attach one of those little satin roses (white on a lavender ribbon or vice
versa) you can buy from most haberdashers - stitching it to the middle of
the bow. However, this will add to the expense if she's selling them as
they're about 20p each.

Is there anything else I need to do with it?

Nope.

Old 14-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Ros Butt

Many thanks for that info; much appreciated. I think I'll adopt your
mothers cheat version!

Ros

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

Ros Butt wrote:
[...]

Lavender and White - pale-lavender-and-white.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 3 30-07-2007 01:36 AM
home made grow bags using tesco carrier bags. jww United Kingdom 5 13-06-2006 12:41 PM
Media Bags Doug Ponds 9 11-03-2003 04:44 PM
Bags over ears of corn to keep out raccoons Pat Kiewicz Edible Gardening 3 22-02-2003 11:15 AM
Bags over ears of corn to keep out raccoons Tim B Gardening 0 20-02-2003 03:51 AM